Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mitj4
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by Mitj4 »

Sometimes, if the book has this strange picture on it :)
I must say that if the cover is good looking I have this feeling that I just have to look the inside of the book,
so this is positive,.It's never the other way around :)
Clove311
Currently Reading: On the Edge
Bookshelf Size: 525
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clove311.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Clove311 »

I have to say I do. I find that when I go to the bookstore and just browse the shelves, I tend to check out the cover before wanting to find out more. I know what kinds of books do not interest me, and I can determine based on the cover if its one of those books (I.E. a book with Fabio on the cover, leaning over a half-clad woman). Inversely, if there is a badass looking heroine on the cover, holding a sword/gun/bow ETC, I know I should definitely pick this up and find out more about it. I feel like Authors spend a lot of time making sure that not only they, but their readers are pleased with the covers. If a cover didn't matter, all books would just have the title and the authors name printed on the cover. The cover is where I begin my review, consciously or not.
Maria Luisa
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1665">What am I doing here</a>
Currently Reading: Neither here nor there - Travels in Europe
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Maria Luisa »

Clove311 wrote:I have to say I do. I find that when I go to the bookstore and just browse the shelves, I tend to check out the cover before wanting to find out more. I know what kinds of books do not interest me, and I can determine based on the cover if its one of those books (I.E. a book with Fabio on the cover, leaning over a half-clad woman). Inversely, if there is a badass looking heroine on the cover, holding a sword/gun/bow ETC, I know I should definitely pick this up and find out more about it. I feel like Authors spend a lot of time making sure that not only they, but their readers are pleased with the covers. If a cover didn't matter, all books would just have the title and the authors name printed on the cover. The cover is where I begin my review, consciously or not.
Yes, I do too, but If I'm looking for an author and a title in particular, I don't mind the cover, also if an ugly one bothers me and all the times I take it in hand I think "How could they choose such an ugly cover!"
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

All the time. I will follow up by reading the blurb if it looks interesting, but the cover is often the first thing to catch my eye. On the opposite side if a cover is unappealing I might pass on the book without further inspection.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

I do actually, even though the coer doesn't determine whether or not i read the story
Brunettebaby32
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebaby32.html

Post by Brunettebaby32 »

I try to get through at least the first chapter before making a decision on if I like the book or not.
shane_cloonan

Post by shane_cloonan »

Unfortunately, despite the saying "don't judge a book by its cover", I think society has taught us to judge things by their appearance in many aspects of life.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

For me, the book's title is my first impression, but if the picture on the cover is unique and fires my imagination, I might pause long enough to look inside.
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

The "cover" is the trap of the e-Book industry. All the authors think their cover MUST attract their readers. There are websites "for" e-Book authors to post on and all one sees are hundreds of book covers and rarely a description of what's inside the cover and even more rare --someone making a COMMENT!

,,,and what is the "hook" for those websites? Simple--those who prey on these "authors" use those sites to gather their prospective customers together. The cover designers, editors, e-book publishers, etc.

The huge problem with e-books is there is no FILTER for what is "published." The person who can separate the absolute literary trash from the quality e-books will become a millionaire--IF!--he/she can then gather the dwindling supply of readers together. Hmmmm... :D
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy

Post by meigui22 »

no, never
I personally judge by title and author. I love classic literature: it is the best
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

Oh yes I do. I judge it all the time. Not only do I judge, but I also love to analyze how they came up with certain covers. But in the end, the cover gets me to pick up a book, yet, if It's a terrible blurb I probably won't buy it.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

I totally do! In today's world, you know that the publishers are choosing the cover to target certain types of readers. Perhaps here at the online book club I don't judge as much - these are indy authors who are often figuring out the cover on their own. But any of the books that make it big time into places like Barnes and Noble, you just know that someone whose job description is marketing is choosing the cover to target a specific audience. I can always tell my 'type' of book based on the cover. My husband can too, he will pick books by covers he thinks I will like - he has yet to be wrong!
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Yes. If the cover is sub par, I usually do not pick the book up unless I have heard wonderful things about it from others.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Nope. As it's been said before, the cover will attract me to the book, but what I know of the genre and what I can glean from the first couple of pages has some weight in my decision to read it.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I do judge books by their covers. If it appears bubbly and fun on the cover, I definitely will want to take a look, if not, I may still go on to take a look but not with as much excitement as the first
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”