Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by makenna-16 »

I try not to, but sometimes you have to. (like "intense" romance novels)
Gardnerj15+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gardnerj15.html

Post by Gardnerj15+ »

The cover and font are always what make we pick up a book and read the back of it. However, I will only actually read it depending on the reviews and the plot.
mimsreads

Post by mimsreads »

Unfortunately, I do judge books by their cover, just like I do with people. This is a trait that I am trying to rectify. Because a beautiful, appealing cover does not always mean the inside is beautiful or appealing.
Elizab
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Elizab »

I tend to always pick up books with eye catching covers, but I have learned that this does not always mean that it will be a good read. :cry:
Melissabendall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissabendall.html

Post by Melissabendall »

I think the cover does make a difference in how likely I am to look at the summary of the book. I solely read on my dresser and am more likely to look at. Book if the name and cover appeal to me when I am searching.
Deb_Uber
Currently Reading: The Cake Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deb-uber.html

Post by Deb_Uber »

I do tend to judge books by their cover. I am a visual person and wont apologize for it, pictures are my main format for processing the world. A well thought out cover draws your audience after all. Although, I will admit that the description has to catch me or I'm lost.
agore90

Post by agore90 »

Never! As much as I read I have learned that sometimes the cover has nothing to do with what the book is about. The cover is merely just an illustration to catch your attention.
CharlotteVillette
Currently Reading: One step away
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottevillette.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CharlotteVillette »

Overall, probably yes, but the story/plot has to intrigue me too. A nice pretty cover will of course make me look, but if I read the back and I think 'doesn't sound that good' I will just put it back and carry on.
GingerBookWork

Post by GingerBookWork »

I feel bad saying it, but I do sometimes judge a book by its cover! I am naturally drawn to books that catch my eye. I often will just buy a book because I have heard good things about it, and I love the cover design! I need to break this habit, since so many books have pretty covers! But, I do not automatically assume and book is good or bad depending on the cover art. I always try to read the summary and give the book a chance, but I do occasionally give the books with the more appealing covers a chance first, and then I will move onto a book with a cover that isn't particularly eye catching for me. I try to avoid being judgmental based simply on the book cover, but sometimes I get caught up in the beauty of a few books.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Funnily enough, for the first time ever I just recently took off and THREW OUT the dust jacket for a book I'd just purchased because it was horridly ugly!
lauren0907
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren0907.html

Post by lauren0907 »

I thought I was the only one that judge by the cover, but I usually only read a book by what the cover looks like. I have gone to bookstock and to the library and just looked at the cover, if it catches my eye I will read it. I think I get better books out of it sometimes, things that I wouldn't normally read about I read instead.
deloris_what94
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deloris-what94.html

Post by deloris_what94 »

Sometimes it can be difficult to not judge a book by its cover. However, I try to always give a book a chance even if it looks dull on the outside. Sometimes though, I just can't resist an intriguingly worded title or a vague cover image. It just makes me want to delve right in.
tayquita
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by tayquita »

I do a lot definetely. I would like to say I don't but I do
Blood_and_Jokes
Currently Reading: Empire State
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blood-and-jokes.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Blood_and_Jokes »

The cover is the first thing that draws me in when I'm browsing in a bookshop, but it is ultimately the summary/synopsis that helps me make my final decision.
Kickinitcountry24
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kickinitcountry24.html

Post by Kickinitcountry24 »

I kind of do. I usually browse the covers and if something catches my eye then ill pick it up to read the back or inside sleeve to know what it really is about. I do not look at a cover and simply get the book because there was a cute guy on the front but it would make me want to see what happens in the book. I wont really judge the entire plot of the book by the cover because that would be rather useless and I would most likely get ny version if the plot entirely wrong just from looking at a picture but I do judge the cover to pick up the book and learn more.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”