Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by SparklesonPages »

I would love to say no but a good cover is what catches my eye and gets it’s summary read !
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

It depends on the cover.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I know it goes against age-old wisdom but yes. A lot of times. I'm guilty of picking up a book because of its cover but then I won't turn down a book because of its cover.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

I try not to judge a book by its cover, but sometimes I do if the cover looks wierd I wont give it a shot.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I used to judge books by their cover when I was in school. As summer homework I was forced to read them, and I'm really thankful to my teachers because I learned to read beautiful book that had horrible covers.
Jpbk121811
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jpbk121811 »

I have judged a book by its cover a few times. If I see a cover of a book that really catches my eye. I will pick it up and read the back cover to see what its about. A lot of times I find really good books that are just hard to put down and stop reading.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I do this a lot and in the process, i end up missing out on a lot of good books. These days, i try to read at least the first few pages before deciding if it's for me.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Yes, I frequently do this though I do not just throw it because I hate the picture. I also have to read the blurb to know what is there before I delve in. I would not like to read a book only to stop when I am half-way through it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

You can't tell the true character of the person just merely looking at him or her, you should be with the person every now and then talk to her/him and be close to him/her if possible. And that's how I understand with the phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover"
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

Definitely. When I'm at the bookstore and there are hundreds on the sale shelf, cover is what makes me pick a book up. It wouldn't stop me from reading a book, but I definitely use it to judge what seems like a good read on first glance.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The cover and the title will make me want to pick the book up, or not. But the plot and reviews, if available will decide if I should buy the book or not. I don't think the 'never judge a book by it's cover' thing actually happens though. I suppose we all get more or less attracted or repelled by book covers.
Joanna_229

Post by Joanna_229 »

The cover is what attracts me
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

We all know the saying "dont judge a book by its cover" and while applying it metaphorically i believe is great i wonder how many still do it when it comes to actually reading a book. I know im guilty of picking a book up only to review the cover and not go a step further at times. In recent years ive learned to give a book at least 4 chapters to catch my interest before putting it down.

What are your "rules for reading" and do you judge a book by its cover?
lianne_

Post by lianne_ »

Well for me my rules for reading are you need to look on the plot of the story because by that you will know the flow of the story, if it catch your attention then read it, if not try to reas the ending because it can give you curiosity to read that specific look, it can also leave you a message like "how did that happen?". Looking in the type or knowing the type of the genre can also give you excited especially if it is exact genre that you want. Well I can also say that there are books that are not catchy in the first part but try to read the middle part because that is the part that gives you lots of questions and interest to read that story. So for your second question, I don't judge the book by its cover. Well yeah by the cover of the books it can catch readers attention but for me a catchy/attractive covers are just the bonus part of the books, cuz what's more important are the content, the purposes of the book and how it leaves you a impact that pushed you to read that book. Remember, a book that doesn't have attractive book cover are more interested rathen than the book that has attractive cover.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I think sometimes a cover can indicate how much effort the publishers put into producing the book. If the cover doesn't match the description on the back, I wonder about the marketing - are they baiting the audience or did they just publish it because they had to?

For example, I remember seeing a book with a row of chairs on the cover, one chair was a different color than the others so your eyes were drawn to that. I remember thinking, "Ok, so a fish out of water or oddball protagonist story."

What was the book you ask?

Pride and Prejudice!

Yes, a classic Regency era novel had a cover with modern chairs you would see in high school classrooms!

Since then I tend to just open to a page at random and skim it; too many grammatical errors and it goes back on the shelf no matter what.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”