Have you ever burned books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Have you ever burned books?

Post by sadya »

Suddenly you are one of my favourite people on this board.

Usually I'm against setting books on fire, even when I don't like them, but books like that 50 shades are just too horrible.
TheOceansVeil

Post by TheOceansVeil »

No need to harm the environment. Recycle not burn. :mrgreen:
naomi_perrin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi-perrin.html

Post by naomi_perrin »

I have never burned a book! Usually I just donate to the local bookstore, or recycle it if it's falling apart or missing pages.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

The only book I ever burned was the phone book when I needed to get my fireplace going. Not sure if anyone considers that a "NO NO", but it kept my kids warm. Other than that I wouldn't consider burning a book, like gali, it makes me think of the Nazis. I think that whether I consider it a good book or not there's always someone out there who might appreciate a recycled book. I donate mine to the local library.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
ssued2894
Currently Reading: The Guilt Club
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssued2894.html
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh

Post by ssued2894 »

obiebookworm wrote:Yes I have! Of course, this was many years before recycling. Though I believe in freedom to read, there's a different in my mind between what happens in a library and my personal collection. In the book burning case, I remember having a few books that I felt were not worth passing on to someone else because they had the high potential of hurting someone else, like it did me.

Bottom line, if there is a book in my possession (most likely one given to me) that has the potential of creating harm to another, it gets trashed. :shock:
I have never burned a book. You say it is because the book could cause harm. However, I am not very sure I understand what you mean by this? Could you give an example as to what you mean by a book that could cause harm to someone?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

ssued2894 wrote: I have never burned a book. You say it is because the book could cause harm. However, I am not very sure I understand what you mean by this? Could you give an example as to what you mean by a book that could cause harm to someone?
Can I give an example? Dangerous Personalities by Joe Navarro, an FBI profiler who claims, among other things, that all paranoiacs (such as myself) should be avoided, because we're all gun-toting maniacs, who, if pulled over for speeding, would take out the officer with our AK-47's before he could say a word to us.

That book hurts me! Seeing it on my sister's coffee table at Christmas hurt me. The fact that it has a 5-star Amazon rating really hurts me. The fact that it spreads fear-mongering hurts me. In that instance, I wouldn't burn it for several reasons (safety first and foremost--I don't know how to burn things), but I would shred it or recycle it, or something.
ssued2894
Currently Reading: The Guilt Club
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssued2894.html

Post by ssued2894 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
ssued2894 wrote: I have never burned a book. You say it is because the book could cause harm. However, I am not very sure I understand what you mean by this? Could you give an example as to what you mean by a book that could cause harm to someone?
Can I give an example? Dangerous Personalities by Joe Navarro, an FBI profiler who claims, among other things, that all paranoiacs (such as myself) should be avoided, because we're all gun-toting maniacs, who, if pulled over for speeding, would take out the officer with our AK-47's before he could say a word to us.

That book hurts me! Seeing it on my sister's coffee table at Christmas hurt me. The fact that it has a 5-star Amazon rating really hurts me. The fact that it spreads fear-mongering hurts me. In that instance, I wouldn't burn it for several reasons (safety first and foremost--I don't know how to burn things), but I would shred it or recycle it, or something.
I understand now, I guess I just never really thought about that. I can see what you mean by hurt and I think I would probably do the same thing. It's never right to be judged and categorized.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, thanks for understanding!! :D :D :D :D
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Nope, I wish I could say something original, but I've never burned a book and never really considered its even though I was slightly pyrotechnic as a teenager. I also don't feel any ill will against anyone who would burn or otherwise destroy them, though... as has been pointed out, sometimes there are some good reasons!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Slightly pyrotechnic? Hee hee. I was actually pyrophobic as a teenager. This thread made me remember something... about ten years ago, I was reading a self-help book that suggested making a "blue, healing fire." So I followed the instructions, and gathered everything together. Then, due to a storm, there was a sudden power outage. "Perfect," I decided. And then I lit the match... and recoiled about three feet in an immediate panic. The fire in the bowl was in the middle of my bedroom floor, and it was shooting straight up about three feet. I just crouched there, petrified, even though there was an extinguisher within arm's reach. Eventually, the fire died down, and I was just a little bit mad at the author. (Just a little bit.) I never messed around with healing blue fire after that.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Healing blue fire sounds fun! I still love to melt and burn things, but I'm not as obsessive about it... Fire is dangerous and powerful, but gorgeous and fun as well... The fact that I hate being hot doesn't go along with having fun with fire well though...
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, that sounds like the sad story about the figure skater who hates the cold ice rink. :eusa-violin:

Oh, hey. Your talk about melting things reminded me of a haiku I wrote. I'm going to include it in a future novel, so I don't want to post it here. Hold on, I'm going to IM it to you.
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

No, never and I never even thought at the idea.
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Cher+Pot »

I have never burnt books. We actually have a tradition of burying books that are not used anymore or in really bad shape. It just feels better than burning the words of someone else, but, as Joseph Brodsky said, "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."

There are of course books that ask to be burnt...like the "Burn Book" in Mean Girls. :P
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Never! :shock:
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”