Do you read book covers?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
writerbugg
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerbugg.html

Re: Do you read book covers?

Post by writerbugg »

When I used to purchase hardcopy books, yes, the back of the book was the first thing I went to. Even though I mainly read books in alternative format, I look around for blurbs that seem like they came from the back of the book. Goodreads, Amazon. Sometimes I get the same blurb, but there are times I get a slightly different one, which I appreciate. That different blurb will sometimes mention something different that will intrigue me to want to read the book even more, or turn me away from it.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

Oh yes. Unless it is one of my favourite authors that I read all of, then I want to read a cover to find out what it is about. Then I decide if it is something I want to read. Of course I buy most of my books online now so read the synopsis they give...same thing.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

Yes, I want to know what the book is about before I read it and also a little about the author. Ive picked up some books from first time authors and have been pleasanly surprised at how well its written
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I do always like to read the cover in order to decide if I want to read the book or not. Of course,the overview is the first thing I read. The reviews written on the cover are also important because it builds up the anticipation of the story. Then after I finish reading the book, I read the author's biography. If it's and author I am familiar with, I will most likely overlook the summary of the book, and just go ahead and read it.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

Yes always.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
okayLexi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okaylexi.html

Post by okayLexi »

I definitely read the back cover if it has a short synopsis of the book. As far as the author bio and other reviews, I really don't read too many. If I finish the book and I really enjoyed it I will get more information on the author to find similar books.
cia1018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cia1018.html

Post by cia1018 »

I read everything written on a book from front cover to back once I have chosen to read the book. When I am searching for a book to read in person then I read the front and back cover, inside and out. All the reviews and a bit of any acknowledgements.
Shinyfox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Post by Shinyfox »

Yes, it helps me decide if I will be reading the book. So I always read the book covers. I will admit that I don't always read the reviews of the book that are listed. One time I picked up a book because a favorite author of mine had a small review of the book on the cover. Turns out I loathed the book, since then I don't often read the reviews on the cover.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

Yes, always before I buy.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I like reading whatever is on the book covers unless it wasn't that great of a book.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
ParaDice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradice.html

Post by ParaDice »

Yes, how else do you know what you're buying. Even online I read all of the description and author info and anything else that gives me info on the book.
5683linda

Post by 5683linda »

The book cover is the first thing I look for when choosing a new book. The title, then the art, then the author and then I flip to the summary of the story. If all of these appeal to me, then I look at the price!!
Guradisu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guradisu.html

Post by Guradisu »

Sometimes.
Many times I read reviews on the internet when I need more information about the book.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I always feel really guilty because I DON'T like to read the book covers. I like the be completely surprised when I read a book. And I have found that the covers sometimes spoil the book for me, and I hate when that happens.
Afphuu

Post by Afphuu »

Yes. That is the first thing i do before i buy a book

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”