Is there any series you just have to have a printed copy of?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: Is there any series you just have to have a printed copy

Post by Prisaneify »

It used to be the Evanovich series, but, they have lost their charm with me. The most recent one I have to have to keep is the Red Rising trilogy. These books are way too good to not read again, and I really enjoy the cover art. I'm going to keep my original Harry Potters, Twilight and Hunger Games books that I have. Hopefully I can find another series to love as much to keep soon!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

A series I had to own was the Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson. I loved how these books are written in multiple POVs and the journey is amazing! I read the first two books on my Kindle and went out immediately to buy them on hard copy for my collection.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
sch0013
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sch0013 »

I haven't read them all since childhood, but I could never get rid of my Harry Potter series!
Squid Stix
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squid-stix.html

Post by Squid Stix »

Hell yeah! The Redwall series by Brian Jaques, and the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I have to have a copy of the Harry Potter series. I have also switched over to an e-reader, but I will never get rid of my paper copies of Harry Potter. I love the series, and I want to keep it even if I just look at it on my bookshelf.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I love to have my copies of the Harry Potter books. What if your Kindle dies? I actually prefer books versus reading on my Kindle.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Yep. The Gemma Doyle Series. I just recently purchase hard copies of it a few days ago. I can't wait until they get here. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

The Divergent Series and the Selection Series
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I have to have the harry potter (though I haven't read them all...) and House of Night series, I really like both.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

Any book I hope to enjoy as fully as possible should be acquired as a physical copy, I've found them to be much more conducive to the immersion aspect of storytelling. If I'm more interested in simply reading something just to read it (assignments, some series I'm looking into or catching up on, reviews, informational purposes, etc.), then I'm fine with a digital copy if it's what I can acquire. Digital copies are better for short reading sessions especially ones on the go obviously, whereas physical copies are more effective at keeping me reading for hours at a time if the narrative is good. Very rarely will I bother with audio books unless it's all I can find or there are other factors in circumstance that make it an optimal choice while either of the other options are available.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

The Lunar Chronicles. I first read Cinder and Scarlett via e-book and after that I just had to get my hands on pyshical copies of the books. I pre-ordered Cress and Winter so I could read the pysical copy the second it came out.

I also first read Nevernight as an audiobook and basically went out to buy a copy and its sequel a week or so later.
null2018

Post by null2018 »

Harry Potter. If I come across a used copy at a bookstore... it's really hard to say no. :) I love all the different editions and covers.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

All my favorites. Mostly long fairy tales, as I call them. Harry Potter, Lord of the rings... So basically fantasy series.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

The feature that makes me want a physical copy of a book is the feeling of the pages and seeing that you only have so much left to read. Even though ebooks show you the percentage read and how much longer it will take you to read, the satisfaction factor isn't there. I do enjoy ebooks for the fact that you can focus on one page at a time and are less likely to lose you place. Also with the kindle paper white it is easier in your eyes, there is no glare, and you don't need additional lighting. I tend to want to give indie books or books that aren't in print copy a chance, but I definitely prefer classics in physical form. I have duplicates of many books, on both media, but it all depends on mood, location, and situation. I only started buying ebooks in 2015 and have only had my kindle since May 2017.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

Definitely! The most urgent one though is "Storm and Silence" by Robert Thier.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”