Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Re: Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I got my first library card in elementary school when I was in 4th or 5th grade. Before that I used to check out books with my mom's library card. Since I was a shy kid I didn't find it necessary that I should have my own. But I finally got my own when my 5th grade teacher told me I should already have one since I was definitely old enough. And after reading some of these replies I guess I was really old when I got my own. :P
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I got my first library card when I was seven and in the first grade. I had been struggling with my reading for ages (I didn't have the patience for it), but when I got my library card it was like it opened up a whole new world for me. After reading a bunch of great books, I became an avid reader and now when I go to the library, the only time I'll be in there less than two hours is if someone forces me to leave or if it's closing.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I grew up in a little town in the Midwest back when there were only three stations on our box console television. (Yes, I realize how this dates me. ) We spent a lot of time reading, especially in the summer. My mom was a teacher so she made sure that we had library cards by the time we were six or seven. The librarian knew us by name and let us take home as many books as we wanted. The adult section and children's section were on opposite sides, and the librarian wouldn't let us into the "grown-up" side until we had or mother's permission.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I don't remember ever not having a library card. I was one of those lucky kids who both picked up on reading stupidly fast AND had a mother who never ever held me back from reading. I feel like I was probably about 5 or 6 when I started checking books out under my own name though.
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I am grateful to this day to a friend who took me to the library when I was going through childhood to get a library card. My library card is like a piece of gold to me!
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I think I was in elementary school. I don't remember what grade I was in. I was really happy!
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

My mind is a little fuzzy, but I do know I was still in elementary school when I got my first library card. I was the happiest kid on the planet. My sister got me one, because every time she brought me to the library, I would always want to check books and movies out. Who knew a kid could get so excited over a library card, eh?
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I got mine when I was 7years old
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
NSOfficial
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsofficial.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by NSOfficial »

I was in the second grade at the time so that means I must have been around eight years old.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Yes! I was 7 and my 2nd grade class took a field trip to our town's library. Afterwards, my class had to write an essay called, "Why I Love My Library Card." Well, I wasn't sure why I loved my library card because I had only had one for about an hour. So, I made something up that I thought sounded good and turned it in. I didn't realize the essays were to be entered into a writing contest. I ended up having the winning essay and my photo was featured in our local newspaper. That was when I first realized I was a writer.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think I was 6 and I was in second grade (I went straight to second grade because I was already fluent reader and in the first grade they were going to start learning the alphabet) and I was sooo happy because I had read everything twice in my own home and was like a sponge that was in danger of drying out.
And my mother was constantly nagging me afterwards that she was quite sure that I would now go blind from all the reading I was doing because the heavenly gates of library had opened I could bring home towers and towers of books (this was before the library made the 5 books at time rule, grrr).
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I remember getting my first library card well. I was in second grade and the whole class was taken to the children's library to obtain library cards. The children's library was located in the basement of the city library and I still remember the way the polished wood of the shelves and counter smelled and how the old stairs creaked when I walked down them. I was in awe looking around at all of the books. I never imagined that such a place could exist. We were told we could check out one book that day and that we would have two weeks to read it. Unfortunately, because there were so many wonderful books to choose from, I couldn't make up my mind and by the time I did choose The Black Stallion, it was time to go back to school and I didn't get to check it out. I was so upset but the librarian told me I could come back the next day and she would get me set up with my card. I drove my grandmother crazy until she agreed to take me back a few days later to get my card. She had never in her life been to a library. She fell in love with it that day and promised to take me back every two weeks to get more books. She did this for me until I was in the 6th grade and was allowed to ride my bike into town on my own. Several years ago I drove through my small hometown, a place I hadn't seen since my grandmother died. I was sad to see that the old library had been torn down and replaced by a medical office building. The new modern library was on the other side of town. Very sophisticated and technology savvy, but no polished wood or creaky stairs. Somehow, it just wasn't the same.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think I was six (first grade).
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I remember going to the library as a kid, then hanging out in the library after school. I don't remember much about getting my first library card. I do remember the last one I got though. Two weeks ago I moved to NC and one of the first things I did was go to the library. The worker there didn't want to give me a card though, because my drivers license still says New York. I hadn't even gotten any mail yet to my new address, so I had to show him a copy of my lease agreement to get the library card.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I think I was really young when I got my first library card. I still have that thing, even though I don't get to use it often. :)
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”