Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yes! It was the summer after 5th grade and I begged my mom to take me so that I could read the books there. She had been kind of complaining under her breath about my book hobby being too expensive for her to keep up with, but she didn't want to keep me from reading since it wasn't exactly a hobby to complain about. This was my compromise.
BKircher
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bkircher.html

Post by BKircher »

I was 11 when I got my first card to a real library. By that point they had an online request system with an unlimited number of requests. I think when Dad stopped by to pick up my books that first week he needed a box to get them all home. However I think the part that really amazed the Librarians was the fact that I had most of them read within two weeks and needed more books.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I guess I am old. I don't remember when I got my first library card. I do remember our old library. The children's section was in the basement of a very old building. I hadn't thought about that room in years. It was a very pleasant memory. I can almost smell all the old books.
I do remember when my children got their first library cards. I took them to the library when they could read books on their own. They got plastic cards and printed their names on them. When they got older, they "accidentally" lost their first library cards because the library never updated them and they still had their little printed names on them. They were embarrassed how their names were printed and wanted signatures on them so they looked better.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
kkabir
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by kkabir »

when i was got my first library card i 15
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I think I was about 11 or 12 when I got my first Library Card. I remember that I was so ecstatic, it was the closest thing I could get to having my own credit card haha. I still have my first Library Card. Oh, and I remember practicing and creating my own personal signature to put on my Card.
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

I started reading books when I was 12. I lived in the Philippines back then and my Uncle gave me a book called Viking Quest, so that's the start. Anyway, I got my first library card when I moved in the U.S. I was 16.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I was a lil kid, and we went to the library for readings and stuff... I remember it being awesome! I read lots of Goosebumps books and stuff
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
tigg99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigg99.html

Post by tigg99 »

I was 8. My mom and dad didn't have a ton of cash, so getting books from the library was a fun outing. My mom reads 6-8 books a week and it was just something natural that we did, we read books. My older brothers and I would check out as many books as we were allowed and then sit at home and read until we were done. Overdue books was not an issue for us as we finished them quickly.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have always been affiliated with the military in some form (as an "army brat," a solider, and now an army wife), so I've always used the libraries on post. On Army installations, a soldier's or family member's military ID card also serves as his/her library card. I got my first military ID when I was twelve, so I guess that's when I also received my first library card.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Booklover_1999
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-1999.html

Post by Booklover_1999 »

I was 8 years old. We needed to have one in school. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I got my first library card on the first day of kindergarten. My mom told me that she would get me the card after school. I guess some kids go for ice cream on the first day; I went for a library card :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
sisita25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sisita25.html

Post by sisita25 »

I don't remember getting my first library card. I must have been 4 or 5. But I have vivid memories to busting open piggy banks to pay for all the overdue book fines! I moved recently and found a children's book of animals from 1992 that I never returned to the library...
Astro
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Astro »

I had a shared one with my school when I was about 5. I mostly used to read baby books for some reason, y'know the kind with soft fabrics attached.

I got my own card when I was 8 with the little mobile library that drove through my village every two weeks. They had this competition over the summer where every time you finished ane reviewed a book you got a sticker on a chart, and when you finished the chart you got a sticker book. It was space themed, I loved it. I remember it so vividly haha. I used to check out 8 books every two weeks, which was the maximum limit, and I'd have to carry them in a huge bag because I'd always choose the really heavy encyclopedias. I was a weird child...!
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

I don't remember when I got my first library card but I've been told that I was 16, of course I have a new one that I acquired at age 20 so apparently something happened for me to loose it that I just do not remember.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

Gosh, I don't remember how old I was but I was probably 5 or 6 years old. The library used to be across from my elementary school so it was really convenient.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”