Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Futrella
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-futrella.html

Re: Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Post by Futrella »

First library card....I say 14...

I use my school library to borrow books, but I mainly buy books at Barnes and Noble.
Brunettebaby32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebaby32.html

Post by Brunettebaby32 »

I do! I was so excited. All we had to do was be able to write our name and address and we could get one. It was one of those life changing moments for me. I think I was probably about ten. It was in the summer and I read about 50 Goosebumps books that summer haha
k_green
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by k_green »

I got my library card in the 1st grade after a summer reading program led by the local library. It is yellow and has a large clown on the front, as was the custom for cards distributed for children. I have not lost my card, therefore, have had no reason to have it replaced. Now as an adult, I still get looks from the librarians as I check-out, and some have even asked if my daughter is present to use the card. It is quite comical to see their reactions when I show them my license to prove I am myself.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I remember being super excited about it. After getting it, I found myself trying to calculate how long it would take me to read the entire contents of my local library! Good times! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy

Post by meigui22 »

i remember: i was about 12 years old
madelinexf
Currently Reading: Sweet Possession
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by madelinexf »

I was around age 11 when I got my library card.
GreyCat

Post by GreyCat »

I was 5 because I used to love reading as my aunty was a bookworm
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I don't really remember when I got my first library card, probably about nine or ten years old. My whole family got cards for the public library, and I would take books out on my parents names as well, which was fantastic for me. :)

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Age 11 and I was super excited. It was like a kiddie voter's card.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
ShawnaRose
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B01CR2IA6Y

Post by ShawnaRose »

I got my first library card in elementary school, and have been using it like crazy ever since! I remember my six siblings and I carrying armfuls of books to the front counter, excited to take our treasures home. To this day, not much makes me happier than getting lost in the library and leaving with some new adventures within the pages of books.
dipdrops2003
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dipdrops2003.html
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by dipdrops2003 »

I was in elementary school when I received my first library card. My class had taken a field trip to the local library and we walked there being that it was only a couple blocks away from the school campus. When we arrived, we sat down in a circle on the carpeted section to listen to the librarian explain the rules and etiquette of the library. She also read us a children's book and then we were able to choose a book to take home with us. When we checked out our chosen book, she issued us all library cards. Such a great feeling then to take home a library book with a library card and know that I could go to the library whenever I wanted (with parent permission, of course)!
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
braa4_1adus
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braa4-1adus.html

Post by braa4_1adus »

I can not remember off-hand but I think in the early Seventies at the Ashanti Library Board in Kumasi - Ghna.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I was about 12 or 13. We lived in small towns mostly that had no libraries until I was that age, then moved to a bigger town. I remember I would walk 2 or 3 miles to the library about every 2 weeks and bring home a bunch of books that would last me for two weeks until I had to return them. Great times.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Nostalgiadreams

Post by Nostalgiadreams »

when i was in grade school, they gave us one in 2nd grade. i hope they still do that
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

Yes! I had it up until a year or two ago when I got a new one! I'm not exactly sure how old I was when I got it BUT funny thing is I wrote my name backwards on it. When I got a little older and knew the correct way to write my name they put a white sticker over the name so I can sign it. This had to have been around 3rd or 4th grade because I signed it in cursive that time.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”