Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Do you remember when you got your first library card?

Post by cogarae »

I dont remember exactly but I know I had to have been 7 or younger.
runawaytrain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by runawaytrain »

I got mine in like seventh grade I think
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

I believe I got mine when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. We used to walk to our town's library once a week during school. I've had one ever since. Just recently got a new card!
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

In the town that I am from, you can get your first library card when you learn to write your name since you have to sign the card. So I got my first library card when I was about 5 or so.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I actually didn't get a library card until I was in high school. I grew up in South America, and they didn't have many, if any public libraries where we were. I got books from school, and from the hordes my parents had brought with us from the United States. When I was about eleven or twelve we moved to an apartment above a post office, and they had a small library. We used a combination of the honor system and paper checkouts to get the books.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I think I was about 8 years old. I used to think adults carrying credit cards and other plastic cards were so grown up and I remember feeling like such a big kid because I actually had my own card.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I got mine when I was 7 years old. I used it occasionally, because I preferred buying books to borrowing them.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

I don't remember when I got my first library card, but I remember checking books out at the Waco Public Library at a young age and through college. I actually didn't read much when I moved to Dallas, TX as a twenty-something. I was focused on career and happy hours, too much, I think. My most delightful library card experience was in Rochester Hills, Michigan in my late thirties. I LOVED that library and I was beyond thrilled to have a bike trail to it. I rode my bike my there twice a week with my backpack of books. I miss that terribly. My most recent library card is here in Georgia and the library closest to me sucks. Too much information, no? :( ~KK
KAYKAYKAY60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaykaykay60.html

Post by KAYKAYKAY60 »

Fun thread to read!!

I was around 5 or 6. We grew up in a very rural area and used to walk to the book mobile during the summer (about a mile away), with my sisters. I remember having to limit my books because they were heavy to carry home.

When I was 10, we moved closer to a bigger town and the library there was two stories. I loved going there as a teen.
Kate7

Post by Kate7 »

Mine was for the bookmobile that came to my school. It was so cool, we got to go on a bus to borrow books. I loved bookmobile days! :techie-reference:
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The bookmobile was awesome! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
himeeg74
Currently Reading: Spark
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himeeg74.html

Post by himeeg74 »

6, maybe 7.
Mfisch
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mfisch.html

Post by Mfisch »

My mom got me a library card at 6 years old (before that we had to use hers) and I was only allowed to check out 3 books at a time because I was a "junior librarian". We went to the library each week and during summer there was a library book bus down the street from my house.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I remember getting one because of a school assignment when I was in primary school. I needed library books for that, so I was allowed to become a member.

My parents thought that reading books was terrible, fiction that is. Their opinion was that I wouldn't study and only read, and so fiction ruins children. Yet, they did allow us to watch television series, movies, tv shows. How strange. Anyway, reading is important for children, it improves language skills and gives them a better understanding of life. The world of most books, is a great place to be in.
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

I was 6 or 7. A neighbor used to babysit me and took us to the library once a week. I loved walking to and spending time in my local library well into my teens. Wish I still had that kind of free time!
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”