Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Re: Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Post by Elaine5 »

I'm not sure if it's guilt but I almost always finish every book that I start. If I'm not enjoying it I just keep thinking it is going to get better - optimism? There are only two books in the last few years that I didn't finish: Fifty Shades of Gray and An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Christopher Hadfield. They weren't getting better!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
S Davis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 120791">Me and Emma</a>
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-davis.html

Post by S Davis »

I wouldn't say I feel guilty. But I can not seem to quit reading a book no matter how boring, I feel the need to find out what happens in the ending. I'm the same way with movies.
brianference
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brianference »

No because I always always finish even if I have to skip around a bit or come back to it. Wait, check that when it is an ebook i sometimes don't finish. But a physical book always.
messina1104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 872
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-messina1104.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by messina1104 »

I don't usually give up on a book unless it is REALLY, REALLY bad which doesn't happen that often. I'm stubborn enough to plow through most books regardless. I don't know if it is really guilt or I'm just determined to look for any bright spot in the novel that I can find even if it is minimal. Someone took a lot of hard work to put it together and I guess I feel it is worth my time and effort to see it through to the end.
Therapy_Reader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therapy-reader.html

Post by Therapy_Reader »

There are certain books that I wish I could finish, but even if I did I wouldn't really remember much because I was not fully invested. I do hate seeing those books on the bookshelf though because it feels like I have an obligation to finish it if I start it. I hate leaving little book orphans.
JuliaMorrison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamorrison.html

Post by JuliaMorrison »

Yes! As I have gotten older I have an easier time not finishing a book, but I would guess there have only been three or four that I have not finished, even if they were absolutely horrible. I wish I had an easier time putting away books that were not that great.
STBReader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbreader.html

Post by STBReader »

Sometimes. If I have agreed to read a book to review, I will finish it no matter what. I have read books that had me completely lost the first few chapters and then, WHAMO! It gets exciting. There are a few that I have agonized over reading for a couple of reasons: Poorly written, grammar, lack of research on the subject matter, etc. However there were a few that I just threw my hands up and messaged the author and asked them to check format, re-edit or simply consider a complete re-write. Those were few (I think only three in about 10 years). I feel that if it is that bad, the author must be contacted. There may be circumstances in which they weren't aware the wrong copies were uploaded etc. You just never know. In any event, I don't think it is fair to review something that I couldn't finish.
raymondwalley
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by raymondwalley »

I used to do many years ago but leanred over time that if one cannot 'get into' a book in the first three or four chapters then either it is not worth the effort or, one is not yet ready for it, so then I put it aside and try again much later, if I cannot get into by then I discard the book.
madbooklover21

Post by madbooklover21 »

The only time I feel guilty about not finishing a book is if it's a classic! But sometimes I'm just really not in the mood for certain types of books, which makes it very hard to focus and appreciate what I'm reading. Plus sometimes my busy schedule just doesn't leave a lot of room for books, so I end up not finishing a book for a long time.
Sarene09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarene09.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Sarene09 »

If a book doesn't catch my interest pretty quickly I just put it down. I hate books that are unrealistic.
LitChick90
Currently Reading: Meaning of Truth
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litchick90.html
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo

Post by LitChick90 »

When I don't finish reading a book, it's like there's something missing or I'm forgetting.

When I go out, I feel like i'm missing something. Do I have my keys? Yes. Wallet? ID? Yes Yes.

It's that darn book I didn't finish isn't it?
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo
raymondwalley

Post by raymondwalley »

I used to feel like that but decided that it was on par with worrying, which is like paying intereston a loan you may never take out, so I do neither now.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I'm honestly a sucker for most kind of books, so I kick myself if I leave a book unfinished. I'd rather regret reading it than wonder if the ending made the whole effort worth it.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

No. if a book is unable to capture my whole attention, i drop it
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
raymondwalley

Post by raymondwalley »

I agree, however I always give it at least three chapters before putting it aside and, if it was a book recommended to me by a valued source, I'll pick it up again several months down the road and try again. The sum total of the World's knowledge is contained in books but some of them, unfortunatley, are unreadable.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”