Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
andthemusicfades
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkein
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Currently Reading: Subject Seven
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andthemusicfades.html
fav_author_id: 12163

Re: Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Post by andthemusicfades »

OH MY GOODNESS DO I DO THIS!!!!! I will deliberately find actors and actresses that match the authors description. I have to. It helps me soooo much, and the books come alive even more. I read "The Halfling Trilogy" by Heather Burch and two of the characters (Zero and Vegan) I had as Tom Felton and Emma Watson (massive Dramione shipper here.) Its actually unintentional sometimes.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

Not really. I can't think of an actor that matches the descriptions of the characters perfectly. I usually just think or imagine one in my mind. I always picture scenes and characters in my mind while reading the book. I make up the people in my mind and when the movie comes out, the actors look WAY different than I imagined. I would prefer if a movie didn't come out because I like the way I imagine and picture the characters and place. With the movie, it over-writes your imaginations and it just ruins it for me.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I can imagine the characters, but I won't match them to any actors in my head unless I've seen the movie. When, I write stories, though, I do think about how it would be in a movie. I don't picture specific actors, but I rather think of how the lines would sound and how the scenes would look. Like, "This doesn't sound as great in the book but it would be amazing in the movie." I just think that thinking about it like a movie makes it more real and easier to write.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I always picture the actors if I've seen the movie first, but I would prefer to use my own imagination. That is why I like to read a book first before the movie.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
jonesh91
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesh91.html

Post by jonesh91 »

I absolutely do this- depending on the tone of the book I occasionally picture animated characters as well.

I definitely have a bad habit of ignoring author's descriptions of characters and picturing them however I feel like.
PRIYA1994
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by PRIYA1994 »

Only those books which have been made as movies.... Like Harry potter, Divergent, P.S: I Love You etc...
All the other books I imagine the faces of the characters as per the description but I don't picture any actors
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

Only if I have seen the film before reading the book. For instance, I didn't read the Harry Potter series until The Deathly Hallows came out in the cinema, so I couldn't help but picture the actors while I read the book, and the same goes for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings . But if I am reading a book before watching the film/a book that hasn't been made into a film, I let my imagination run wild with my own creations!
So many books to read, so little time..
jessicahoover39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicahoover39.html

Post by jessicahoover39 »

I like to read the book before I watch the movie that way I form my own impressions of the characters and how they look
akhreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akhreader.html

Post by akhreader »

I do not. I try to make up my own image from the description given by the author.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Nope never. I like to imagine what the person looks like on my own.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I do this all the time if the book I am reading was made into a movie, and that's assuming that I watched the movie as well. I can't really help but picture the people that play the characters when I am reading. If not, then I just pretty much make up a face for the character lol.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I do this all of the time. The problem is that a lot of book characters just take the appearance of Emma Watson of Jennifer Lawrence in my head!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
laurafrutos
Favorite Author: Hermann Hesse
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3008">The Fault in Our Stars</a>
Currently Reading: Spiral
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2860

Post by laurafrutos »

Always!!! and then, when the movie comes out, they ruin the whole book for me, thanks. (I tend to imagine the characters more handsome and smart than the actors they put there)
There was a time I decided not to see the movies of the books I've already read. But then some of my friends told there were some great exceptions, like Harry Potter. So now I go to the movies and see it from a different perspective. I'm there just to see how the director tells the same story I already read, and see what changes he made. (like Angels and Demons from Dan Brown) But in my mind, the original and only good story will always be in the book. Sometimes make it a movie becomes a complete fiasco, but others, they pretty much get the same idea I imagined when I first read the book.
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

Not usually. But when they make books into movies I'm always like, "that is not who I pictured playing that person". I never actually picture an actor.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
gabby1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby1991.html

Post by gabby1991 »

I usually picture the characters as the author had described them, but usually with my own spin on them. Unless it came out as a movie before I read the book. For example I started Gone Girl when the movie was out in theaters and knew Ben Affleck was Nick in the movie, so I did picture him while reading the book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”