Can reading be rude?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kbsmith11
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbsmith11.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Can reading be rude?

Post by kbsmith11 »

Is it ever rude to read instead of interacting with others? When and in what setting? In my opinion it is no more rude then being glued to your phone or social media.

Any other opinions?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

IMO reading is never rude but readers (like everybody else) are prone to behave rudely on occasion.
I am an avid reader & if I'm alone I will read while eating or watching telly or doing almost anything. But, if I am in company with my OH, other family or friends I certainly would not ignore them & proceed with my reading. IMO that would be the height of rudeness and display very bad manners. I also consider it rude & bad mannered to produce a mobile at table & start texting or facebooking or whatever .. you are clearly saying that the person you are with is less important or less interesting than whatever is going on on facebook or twitter. To my amazement I have seen couples out to dinner where one party takes out a mobile and for the duration of the meal eats while gazing at the screen and totally ignoring their partner - no way would I put up with that!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

Yep, just like yapping on the phone when in the presence of company, is rude.
kbsmith11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbsmith11.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kbsmith11 »

I completely agree with you guys. My husband thinks that it is rude to read when we are supposed to be spending time together but he is watching tv so I take out my kindle. I don't feel it is rude since we are still together and he is engrossed in the television. Since there is not conversation what is the point of watching a show I care nothing about and would rather be reading!?!
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

Exactly kbsmith11! My husband likes to watch TV and movies, which I very rarely do. Instead, I will read while he watches--he even puts headphones on so the noise doesn't disturb me. I would quite often read on my breaks at work while others were talking. Mostly, because I didn't want to listen to, or partake in the gossip...and I found that if my nose was in a book, people generally didn't talk to me.
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It is rude only when in the presence of others. I never read when I am chatting with friends or dining out. I read when I am alone or when my hub is busy. Anyway, he doesn't mind my reading.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I agree that it is no more rude than being glued to your mobile phone.
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

I actually think it's much less obnoxious than being glued to your phone :)
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

In my opinion, he difference between social media and reading is: reading is a much longer distraction. With social media, it is something that you can tear yourself away or can take a few minutes at a time to do, while in the presence of other people. You can't really do that with reading. How can you read for a minute or two? i wouldn't do it because I can't read for a few minutes at a time and will just stop if I can't continue reading. If i have at least 5 or 10 minutes to read then I will maybe continue where I leave off. Usually I'll just wait until I have more time to devote to reading and instead do something that can fit into the few minutes that i have available.
lynne_d1

Post by lynne_d1 »

Interesting question. My 9 yr old would like to read at mealtimes - now I ban that as I think we should talk...
sweetnsassymom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetnsassymom.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sweetnsassymom »

Yes, it can be rude to read instead of interacting with others, for example in the lunchroom with co-workers, you could at least be a little sociable at first until you run out of things to say and then you can start reading. But if you are in a doctor's waiting room where you don't know anyone, it is definitely not rude, rather it is more acceptable than just sitting there staring at people. I agree that it is no more rude than being glued to your phone, but at least look up every once in a while and see what you are missing.
kbsmith11 wrote:Is it ever rude to read instead of interacting with others? When and in what setting? In my opinion it is no more rude then being glued to your phone or social media.

Any other opinions?
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

In my opinion, it is much more rude to be glued to a phone. I cannot stand it when I am talking to a person and they pick up their phone and start texting! I have never had someone pick up a book and start reading in the middle of our conversation.
Tinamgolla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinamgolla.html

Post by Tinamgolla »

Yes if your are having a family gathering. People think I get rude when reading because I get lost in a book and they can't an answer to questions if they ask when I am reading. When I have family time I don't read but like texting, talking on phone, playing video games at a family dinner or out to eat it is rude
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

Yes. I've seen people take books with them to parties and family gatherings and then find a quiet corner somewhere and read. It is very rude, indeed!
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

I completely agree with what others are saying. Reading a book at a table when you're having dinner with someone is just as rude as constantly checking your e-mail and text. Put the book away and enjoy the person sitting in front of you.

That being said, if I sit down at a table by myself and someone joins me after I've started reading, I don't always put the book away. They saw me reading when they sat down and knew that was how I wanted to spend my lunch hour (or whatever time I've found to sneak in a few pages).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”