How long can you spend in a bookstore at one time?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Re: How long can you spend in a bookstore at one time?

Post by tortoise keeper »

I can spend hours in a bookstore or library. I love browsing through the shelves and wandering though all of the sections. It's like trying to pick a favorite chocolate.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
eyes4only1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyes4only1.html

Post by eyes4only1 »

If it was up to me i would live at the bookstore!
sometimes though i feel like i have a love hate relationship with bookstores and libraries. I could spend all day there and still not find anything to read! Not because there isn't anything good to read but because there is so much to choose from! i could and have spent all of my money buying books before.
This is how i purchase books: go to the book store, spend all day there, go home empty handed, go again the next day, spend all day there and again go home empty handed. This goes on until i find a book that i want to read more then another or i'm told that if i don't choose a book i won't get another chance( then it turns into The hunger games!)
Fantasy Angel

Post by Fantasy Angel »

I can spend FOREVER in a bookstore, but my friends have to keep dragging me away from the store or we would never get any shopping done! Needless to say, I can always get lost in the bookstore. It's a magical world in itself! No problems, no worries, no responsibilities. A bookstore can be a whole other life for someone while for others it's a whole other universe. You wouldn't exactly need money with you. Just being there and breathing in the distinct scent of books (maybe coffee too) can water down the soul's thirst for knowledge. :D
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I can spend hours. It's not unusual for me to go and look for a specific book, then remember several more to check out while I'm there. Oh, and is there a new knitting magazine? I'll check and see!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

Tough question! I think it would be easier to answer: What is the quickest you've been able to get out of a bookstore? LOL! Once I'm in, it's really hard to leave. It doesn't matter if it's a new or used book store...the scent of the books is intoxicating! All the amazing covers are enticing. We don't have many bookstores near me, so once I find a good one, it's really hard to leave.
Daphni
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=15864">A Game of Thrones</a>
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphni.html

Post by Daphni »

I love going to the bookstore, it's my happy place (if it was up to me I would live in a bookstore) but I try to go in with a list of the books I wish to buy (I try to limit it to three or a max budget of 100$) otherwise I will spend hours just browsing and not buy anything or just end up buying way too many books.

On average I spend 3 hours in a bookstore, 10 minutes to pick up the books I want to buy and the rest is spent browsing for new books to add to my list for next time.
amberlk
Currently Reading: Teaching from Rest
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlk.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by amberlk »

I could stay in a bookstore forever! I hardly ever enter one because I know if I go by myself or with my husband we could spend most of the day in there. If we do go in we have to go in for a specific thing or we have to limit ourselves on time. I have 2 very young boys so going into a book store without total destruction or being asked to get each and every book is very difficult.
Vt_Momma2010
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vt-momma2010.html

Post by Vt_Momma2010 »

I could stay there for hours but normally have my children along who get bored!
Madison calder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madison-calder.html

Post by Madison calder »

I can spend hours in a bookstore.There's something about being surrounded by books that makes me feel at home. Especially if they have coffee... coffee and books are a perfect combination.
bookloversclubhouse

Post by bookloversclubhouse »

dea0045 wrote:I usually go to bookstores when I have some extra time to kill and I just browse but I usually just check for books on my list cause if I stay in there for too long then I spend too much money!!!
Same! I usually limit my visits to 20-30 minutes for the sake of my wallet and my husband's sanity. With comfy chairs, a cafe, and a bathroom, I think I could live there.
Anjareis
Bookshelf Size: -1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjareis.html

Post by Anjareis »

I have no idea. I lose track of time in a bookstore and could wander and wonder for hours. However long I might spend, it is never long enough! :?
The_Lord_of_Light
Currently Reading: The Time Machine
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-lord-of-light.html

Post by The_Lord_of_Light »

Many hours! I went to the Waterstones in Leicester square with my parents, and as I turned my phone on mute in case it went off, I was missing for around two hours. :mrgreen:
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

In a bookstore I usually won't be in there more than half an hour is so. A library however I can be in there all day! The difference is I won't actually sit down and read in a bookstore.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
ChristieSR
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiesr.html

Post by ChristieSR »

Hours! Especially if there is a cafe and places to sit, and enjoy!
e_legere72
Currently Reading: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm #1)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-legere72.html

Post by e_legere72 »

I lose track of time while in a library or book store. Thankfully my husband provides a gentle reminder that it is time to go.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”