How long can you spend in a bookstore at one time?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Re: How long can you spend in a bookstore at one time?

Post by sarahpayne23 »

I hardly ever read a book while in a bookstore. I used to work on my school/work stuff while in a bookstore because I loved to smell of the books. I always came home with a new book and found myself getting too distracted.

I spend hours in a bookstore or library mainly because I find it so hard to choose a book to read, or rather just one book to read! I have spent a very quickly passing 4 hours in a bookstore looking and deciding on one book. There are so many books out there, but I tend to read certain genres depending on my mood or what is going on in my life at the time. I want to get THE book I need to read at the moment.

Does this happen to anyone?
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
ChelseaRae2015
Currently Reading: Saint Anything
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearae2015.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ChelseaRae2015 »

It depends on the bookstore /library I'm at. But generally speaking I spend at least an hour and up to about 3 hours if I'm by myself. But sometimes I have someone with me and that means I have to be quick...unfortunately.
latilock123
Reading Device: B00UZM2JKW

Post by latilock123 »

I can spend hours in a bookstore or library. I'll go in the morning or afternoon and leave at night. I can't keep track of time when I'm reading. :)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Until closing time. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
b00kw0rm84
Currently Reading: Night Quest
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by b00kw0rm84 »

For all the books that I buy, I spend very little time in the actual stacks. I know what I want when I get there and if a few extras pop up, I'll get them. But I do like the little nooks and drink shops, those keep me there reading longer.
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I can stay in a book store until it is closed. There was a small book store in my home town that had books stacked to the ceilings. There was only about three feet between the stacks and half of the shelves seemed to be made out of books. I would wedge my self in a dim lit corner and read or just ponder all the crazy and rare things on the shelves. I even bought a massive book on Michelangelo that took up half of my coffee table for $5.00. I loved that place. Franchise stores are just as wonderful. Having couches and a cafe in them means I never want to leave!
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Corvac
Currently Reading: Firefight
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corvac.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Corvac »

Always exactly the same time:

Until I get dragged out, they close, or my bladder is about to explode.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
j0123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j0123.html

Post by j0123 »

Probably a whole day as long as there was food, drinks and a bathroom nearby.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

It's been awhile since I've done it, but when I have the time I like to wander through the shelves looking at whatever catches my eye. I tend to lose all sense of how long I'm there. I love used book stores, they seem to have a more relaxed vibe and more personality.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I try not to spend very much time in a bookstore because I always want to walk out with an arm load of books. I don't often go into bookstores since I normally just use my Kindle app on my phone, but I love going to book stores. My boyfriend knows to steer clear of Barnes & Noble when we go to the mall because I always want to go in and look around.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I don't spend much time in a book store. When I am at one I browse to look for books to get on my kindle.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

devinair wrote:I can spend ages in a book store.... That is something I can never ever get bored... my friends have to drag me away from it
I'm exactly the same way. I can browse books, magazines, and stationary all day, not to mention go hang out in the cafes that are almost always attached to bookstores nowadays.

I just love being surrounded by literature
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Janine

Post by Janine »

I often say the bookstore is my little therapy session. I love to touch the spines, browse the magazines and watch the people. I enjoy not rushing and not seeking anything in particular. I stop at the cafe and walk around peacefully daydreaming. My husband understands this and offers these moments to me when I feel especially broken and downtrodden. Bookstores lift my spirit and reenergize my soul. When I leave I feel lifted up, like I spent an afternoon chatting with a dear friend. I let the books guide me and offer me what I need most. And it is a beautiful thing.
mamabird0903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabird0903.html

Post by mamabird0903 »

Ages! I could just walk the isles, taking in the scent of the books, all day. Finding new books, or even finding ones that I read years before, is one of my favorite moments in life. My grandmother used to tell me that you can go anywhere in the world without leaving your home by reading. I believe that to be true. Which would make the book store/library my travel agency.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

My husband usually has to ask me several times if I am ready and then has to help me narrow down which books to get!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”