What book turned you on to reading and how old were you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
GliddenBooks
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gliddenbooks.html
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel

Re: What book turned you on to reading and how old were you?

Post by GliddenBooks »

My Favorite Golden Book, "Max Helps Out" and my love for reading, devouring the written word, was set in perpetual motion.
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel
winchester_reader21
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winchester-reader21.html

Post by winchester_reader21 »

I think it was the fourth grade which means I was ten or evelen. I read where the red fern grows. The first and only book that ever made me cry.
lindyk93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindyk93.html

Post by lindyk93 »

The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne jump started my desire to read. I was ten years old and have not stopped reading since.
emmy00369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy00369.html

Post by emmy00369 »

What made me motivated to read was that coloured Bible for children.I was so curios to know what that words mean,not just watching the images, so my parents decided to teach me to read since I was 4 .
Then , other books followed ,especially when I started to go to school .
Stuart R
Currently Reading: The Stand

Post by Stuart R »

I was never really bothered about books until aged 13, when at school, I had to read Of Mice and Men as the book to study for that term. I can still remember how upset I was at the ending. :cry:
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

According to my parents I've been a bookworm since the moment I could comprehend language. In fact, when I was 3 years old, before I could read, I was memorizing full children's books that my parents would read to me, and I would recite them to family and family-friends. But it wasn't until about 7th grade that reading inspired me to write, and that was when I learned to truly appreciate literature.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I honestly can't remember when I first started showing an interest in reading. My mom used to read to us kids all the time when we were young so maybe that's what started it all; as long as I can remember I've always had a book in my hands! As for the first book? Anything I could get my hands on. In school we had an accelerated reading group and they had us read the Box Car Children books.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Corkybear09
Favorite Author: I have to many.
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen
Currently Reading: Rereading English as a Second Language

Post by Corkybear09 »

I was very young. My mom got me the Babysitters Little Sisters Books and Dr. Seuss which I loved, but I still wasn't to excited about reading till I was in 5th grade. The teacher had assigned Harry Potter and I fell in love.
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

I found the a set of Famous Five book in my Grandmothers attic. I read it and never looked back since. I still have them, they are first editions and wort quite a book but I don't think I could ever sell them.
With each page you turn another life you live...
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Maybe 3-4 years old, started with little kid comics, grew to Noddy books, Fairy Tales and then to Enid Blyton mysteries/ Famous Five / Nancy Drew / Danielle Steel/ Victoria Holt during school years.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

My Mom used to read to us when we were kids. We would stack up all the Little Critter books on her bed and take turns handing them to her. I do that with my kids now. Books were always a part of our life so reading was just a given.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Favorite Author: I have more than one
Favorite Book: Also have more than one favorite book.
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsalagi-phoenix.html

Post by Tsalagi_Phoenix »

There were two books that got me into reading. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and Slam! by Walter Dean Myers. I read them when I was 13 or 14. Haven't looked back since.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Dr. Doolittle was the first chapter book that I read. I must have been six or seven years old. After that, I considered myself a reader.

I recognize so many of the books that others here have mentioned. You are making me feel so old, many of those books (Magic Tree House and Harry Potter to name a couple) were not even written when I started reading.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
kmsinc28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsinc28.html

Post by kmsinc28 »

Before I could read by Dad would always read me Dr.Seuss books. I think that got me to appreciate the magic of word use and storytelling. Then from there I let my dad influence what I read. I remember picking up the Hobbit (his favorite book) in 4th or 5th grade. That is what got me into novels and the idea that they could be more fun than movies or TV.
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

As a child I always remember reading or being read to. I was part of a book club when i was growing up in which books were delivered to my house every month. I love those books and kept all of them and passed them down to my nephews and hope they will continue to be passed down. I come from a reading family and love to read, so I am not sure what particular book turned me on to reading but it was when I was very young and have never stopped reading since. I love the worlds I can go to in books.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”