Reading before sleeping

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Re: Reading before sleeping

Post by liniageline89 »

I am a speed reader so my night time routine is usually finishing a book before sleeping. Then I can sleep with the feeling of accomplishment and happiness. Plus, then I can focus on imagining a continuation to the story or preferred alternate endings(if I did not like the ending) to help me drift off to sleep.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Reading before going to bed really helps me de-stress from the day's events. Normally, if I'm reading something lighthearted, I like to read as much as I can from that, but if I'm reading a horror books, I don't really read those before bed.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I always read a chapter or 2 before going to sleep, unless I'm really exhausted, which isn't too often.

I have to read while sitting up on my bed however. I can't lie down and hold up the book properly to read it.

Maybe someday I can afford a bed with the adjustable headrest. :o
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I love reading before going to bed, but that is definitely the type of thing that ends with me reading the same page over and over again!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read before I sleep because it just calms my mind. Also sometimes when I read right before I sleep, I'll some times dream about what I read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Reading right before bed is very relaxing and it helps me sleep, too. At night, there's just enough peace and quiet to read. If you don't live alone, like me, it can be hard to read with others making noise during the day, which is perfectly fine. However, at night, it's nice and quiet which makes it easier to focus and calms me down at the same time.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

Reading right before bed is probably my favorite time to read! I find myself getting ready for bed earlier and earlier just so I can have more time to read. It's so nice to unwind and do something truly enjoyable to relax before sleep.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I often find that I wake the next morning feeling more refreshed like I've had a better sleep. It stops day to day worries entering my mind just before bed. Definitely gives you better dreams.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

Sometimes I read before I go to sleep, however, other times if I do that I won't be able to go to sleep. Most times reading makes me quite tired, so it is easy to fall asleep. However, if the book is too exciting to put down then it doesn't really help me go to sleep.
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

I love reading before bed, but I almost always stay up too late if I do. One more chapter....okay one more after this!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
AGillbooksaretreasur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AGillbooksaretreasur »

I read before bed most every night. It keeps me up late and I almost never stop when I say I'm going to. It works out fine for me though, I'm a night owl, I live alone so I bother no-one, and I have peace and quiet. I'm not quite sure why the act of getting cozy in bed just makes me want to read.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I usually read nonfiction so I can't do this since I usually have to take notes. When I'm binging romance novels I'm always reading before bed, though.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm currently regretting this decision of reading before sleeping as I didn't stop until 2.30am! I just had to get to the end (was reading The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Yes, the only problem is figuring out where you left off in the morning. I usually read on my phone before sleep and make sure to bookmark it, but sometimes it's so hard to remember where you stopped reading. I love it, it's very relaxing and it often affects dreams.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by JanieReads »

It depends on the book and where I am in it! If I am at the end of a really exciting book or at a really action packed part, I'll find myself reading until the end, even if it's 3am. And with a 9 month old baby, that's not really a great thing! I try to read as much as I can during the day, or at least finish it before I go to bed. But yes, if I'm reading, AND FINISH the book before I go to sleep then I sleep great. That is, until my daughter wakes me up to eat.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”