Book Club Newbie Needs Your Help

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Buckeye24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book Club Newbie Needs Your Help

Post by Buckeye24 » 23 Jun 2008, 09:01

I recently joined my first book club and just started reading next month's selection. However, I'm struggling with the best approach to reading the book, taking notes, and remembering important points. Does anyone have suggestions? Are there tools available to help readers be more efficient? Currently I am highlighting important passages and jotting down notes on a pad of paper, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. I'm sure it varies by reader, but I am just curious what other people are doing.

Thanks for your help!

sleepydumpling
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by sleepydumpling » 24 Jun 2008, 04:04

I don't take notes or anything, but then my book club isn't formal at all. I just read the book and enjoy it for what it is, then go and discuss my thoughts when it's the club's meet up.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood » 25 Jun 2008, 03:53

I've only just now joined an "actual" book club but would suggest that first you find out what others in your club do in this regard, then follow-up with any ideas you find helpful. Speaking for myself, I do make notes on books that I find to be real page turners, but generally only after I finish reading it the first time through. After that, I go back and make brief notes on what I consider the really important parts - just to help me remember what I want to discuss about the book with others. Also, if a book (or aticle) is truly outstanding (fiction or non-fiction), I go to the back and make note of other suggested reading, as well as checking out the bibliography to see the authors source material. This then leads me onto other interesting reads, and can actually lead me onto a whole chain of great reads!

Wells83

Post by Wells83 » 25 Jun 2008, 12:24

sleepydumpling wrote:I don't take notes or anything, but then my book club isn't formal at all. I just read the book and enjoy it for what it is, then go and discuss my thoughts when it's the club's meet up.
that's how I am too. I read it just like I'd read any other book. Sometimes as I'm reading, i'll make a mental note to bring up a certain point at the next meeting but that's about it. We're very informal as well.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”