What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the mo

Post by sadya »

People interrupting my reading during lunch break in some places I have worked, while I was somewhere reading on my own, which should already be a sign I'd rather not be disturbed (unless I forget the time, and lunch break is over). Mostly people who don't or rarely read do this sort of thing, then they insist on knowing what I read and why, while they don't really care actually and forget it anyway or use it during gossip-about-colleagues-hour and other than that, just don't care at all. Sometimes they actually tell me how boring my book is or I am because I enjoy reading. I let them finish their boring talk so I can get back to my fascinating/interesting book as quickly as possible. Quite often in life books entertain, fascinate and interest me more than other people, either I'm becoming a misanthrope or perhaps I just dislike people in real life and prefer the fictional characters in books.
surprise_its_em
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surprise-its-em.html

Post by surprise_its_em »

I hate it when I think I'm finally done with all I have to do, and I get curled up with my book then somebody calls me or I remember I have something else to do. HATE IT!
ninxyd

Post by ninxyd »

My mother-in-law :x since she doesn't like reading, everytime I pick up a book she's like "did you finish already?" or "you read too much" or the worst one "stop reading and come watch TV" I swear she's Matilda's relative
emily2692
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily2692.html

Post by emily2692 »

When I am reading, someone turns on a TV and says "you can read while I watch TV right?".....NO! :lol:
nickelshark
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nickelshark »

Sleep is one. I also like to have the window open during the summer, spring and fall and of course sometimes there are kids playing and sometimes screaming. Also, loud people in the house and meal time. Gotta eat, but don't want to risk getting my book covered in lasagna!
silverblade181

Post by silverblade181 »

#1 would have to be either being interrupted by someone else who wants to talk...

..or the need to pee. >.>
yuliyamikhalyuk

Post by yuliyamikhalyuk »

My neighbor's three dogs that never shut up.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

Noise. I can't seem to read with any kind of noise. I don't remember what I read if there is a bunch of noise. That might be why I don't get to read as much as I would like. I live in a noisy world with small children. I have been trying to teach them that at certain times in the day we all read a book. Working a little bit but they are not old enough to really understand quite reading to themselves.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Currently, in public places. I'm questioned about my book, the author, etc
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Gypsy72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsy72.html

Post by Gypsy72 »

Life itself. All the things I'm 'meant' to be doing... Like work, responding to people around me, taxi-ing children around, cooking dinner... Kind of like reading is a guilty pleasure at times
Rory28102015

Post by Rory28102015 »

My phone ringing
A B Jeter

Post by A B Jeter »

When I have to choose reading text for school over a book iv'e been wanting to finish!!!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

buddyroo wrote:When someone (my husband) sees you reading and tries to engage you in conversation about some inane topic (his job) and you try to show them you would rather read by sounding incredibly disinterested and they keep on keeping on. GRRRRR! :evil:
Oh this definitely. My mom did this to me yesterday and all she wanted to show me was random pictures of people I don't know. I ended going home to my apartment so I could read, but then my roommate wanted to talk argh.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
AJ Bruns
Favorite Author: Marie Lu
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-bruns.html
fav_author_id: 6099

Post by AJ Bruns »

I agree with a lot of the comments above. When I'm trying to read, I make sure I'm alone or try to find a more secluded space to be by myself. This way, no one tries to talk to me. I don't want to have to be rude to someone and tell them to go away, so I take matters into my own hands.
Stari
Favorite Author: Neil Gaimen
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stari.html
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Stari »

Having to do house chores :/
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”