What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lizzie3
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Post by Lizzie3 »

Sleep. This annoys me so much. Every time I concentrate on a book I just find myself dozing off. Another thing is my one year old daughter. She's very destructive always seeking for my attention each time she sees me with a book.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

My need to sleep, mostly. Every night I fight a losing battle with sleep. It happens like this- I go home, freshen up, eat, then curl up with a book (curl up in front of my laptop or with my phone in hand if I am feeling too lazy to take the laptop out of my backpack). I read a bit, then feel drowsy, then give myself a mental shake and try to concentrate, then gradually the sentences stop making sense so I reread them trying desperately to grasp their meaning, then individual words stop making sense, I reread them but this time they are blurry, then I force myself to read again only to realize I had fallen asleep in between words. This goes on for a while until the sleeping bits grow longer and longer and I can not keep my eyes open anymore, only then I give up and announce that I am off to bed! When I open the book again the next morning, I find the paragraphs I was having such trouble with the last night and laugh at myself. Sometimes I can't even recollect if I had read a particular passage the previous night, that part from the book probably did not make any memory in my sleep-addled brain!
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I hate it when I finally get a chance to read and I'm all settled in and comfortable when, of course, the phone rings. Is it awful that I seldom answer it if I'm reading? I don't like talking on the phone anyway and most people who know me are aware of that but I have one dear friend who hasn't got a clue. It's like she knows when I have finally managed to have time to read. It's so annoying.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

The need to work to earn money.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

People who see you tucked into a book and can't be bothered to leave you be. It's one thing to interrupt every once in a while, but some people will start talking and never stop. My husband does it occasionally, and he gets some pretty withering stares until he realizes what he's doing. I've had people continue talking even though I never acknowledged them, or only gave the barest of acknowledgment. Those people are the bane of my existence.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

All of these posts about people deciding that they need to talk to you RIGHT THEN... I have to agree completely. For me it almost always happens to be a stranger, which makes it worse, as I'm an introvert and get very uncomfortable when I'm suddenly approached by a strange person. Most of the time it just happens to be that some creepy guy wants to try and chat me up right then, and my disinterested 'uh-huh's aren't quite putting him off. It always seems to happen when I'm reading in a public place. I don't know what it is about having my nose in a book that makes me seem approachable.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

Every time that I get comfortable and cozy with a book and ready to read ,my dog seems to need to go outside. I think she plans it to get my attention.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I echo a lot of other people's pet peeves of just loud people. And when I'm reading at home, the incessant sound of my dog licking!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I agree. Falling asleep while reading is the worst. I wish I could will myself to stay awake so I could finish that darn book! :)
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

Noise and sound of any kind!
MatthewSteele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MatthewSteele »

buddyroo wrote: 29 Sep 2013, 00:52 When someone (my husband) sees you reading and tries to engage you in conversation about some inane topic (his job) and you try to show them you would rather read by sounding incredibly disinterested and they keep on keeping on. GRRRRR! :evil:
Hahaha, my wife does the same thing!
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Zepher07 wrote: 25 Sep 2013, 17:20 People who can clearly see that you are reading, but insist on having a full-blown conversation with you anyway. These people do not even ask if you want to converse with them. This happens to me all the time when I try to read when I'm on my break at work. I just want to relax with a good book. Is that too much to ask?
Exactly! This right here!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

For published books... none? Maybe my lack of time.

I also read books online, books written by amateur authors. The one thing that disrupts my reading: rampant grammatical errors.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Either my dog wants a snuggle and gets right up in my face or my husband wants to watch an episode of whatever show we're on at the time during my reading time. The latter of those usually makes it hard when I'm really into the show we're watching!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Samantha2442
Currently Reading: Farenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha2442.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B01AZ8ERHI

Post by Samantha2442 »

At work, we only get two 15-minute breaks, which is also your time to typically go to the restroom, which makes the time even less. It seems like just as I am starting to get into my book again, its already time to jump back to work. :(

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”