What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Re: What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the mo

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

When I'm really into it and my son wakes up from his nap. Love him to death, but he always knows just when to wake up!
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

ssdm4eva wrote: 28 Sep 2013, 02:12 Sleep , work and my husband ability to chatter at me about nonsense during a good book part !
Same here, plus kids. Also my husband seems to have this weird bookish spidersense, because if I'm in the middle of a really steamy scene or there are only five pages left to the book, that's usually when he really really needs to talk about something unimportant. Weather. Sports. Should we eat potatoes or pasta for dinner. Anything. :lol:
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

The fact that I have to go to work. If I could just sit around all day and read, I would be one happy girl.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Mailis wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 15:46
ssdm4eva wrote: 28 Sep 2013, 02:12 Sleep , work and my husband ability to chatter at me about nonsense during a good book part !
Same here, plus kids. Also my husband seems to have this weird bookish spidersense, because if I'm in the middle of a really steamy scene or there are only five pages left to the book, that's usually when he really really needs to talk about something unimportant. Weather. Sports. Should we eat potatoes or pasta for dinner. Anything. :lol:
Another member for Team Husband. Mine can go hours without saying a word, but something about the sight of my Kindle inspires him to start talking. Usually it's a fifteen minute, unbroken recap of a WWE match or something else I'm grossly uninterested in
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Phone calls from Tele-Sales!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Smmarie1988 »

Zepher07 wrote: 25 Sep 2013, 17:20 People who can clearly see that you are reading, but insist on having a full-blown conversation with you anyway. These people do not even ask if you want to converse with them. This happens to me all the time when I try to read when I'm on my break at work. I just want to relax with a good book. Is that too much to ask?
My husband does this. It makes me want to throw something at him. Um, hello? I’m reading here. Sheesh. I read every single day of my life and he annoys me while I’m reading every single day of my life. So frustrating.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

Whenever I visit home and find that my little brother still likes to spend most of his clarinet practice time trying to find the highest possible note he can play on that blasted instrument. It fills me with a rage I don't think I can truly express. And he always does it when I'm reading!
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Music I like distracts me, but if it's just radio trash I can tune it out 😅 I used to need perfect silence but I've become good at dipping in and out to talk to my girlfriend or whoever
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

My mind. It likes to do too many things at once. I generally lose focus within the first five minutes of reading something but if I keep reading through that moment, I'm hooked. I've developed a pretty good habit on this :P Trying to be more disciplined
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

People talking loudly on their phone on public transport. Nothing annoys me more.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I'm ADD so reading is sometimes very hard for me. I have weeks where I devour a book a day, and others where I need two weeks to read a simple book I've read once or twice before. Much like studying and doing homework, I have a very specific spot/routine to minimize distractions. Tv is especially distracting for me, even if it's something I'm not really interested in and have seen a billion times. So when my boyfriend puts something on the tv, just to play something else on his phone with his headphones on but fusses when I turn off the tv, it annoys me to no end! It distracts my reading and for no reason! If someone is actually watching tv, I'll usually give in and watch so I don't have to read over material to follow what's going on in my book, but if it's just on for noise :evil2:
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads

Post by kristinajoy07 »

It sounds rude but when we’ll meaning people try to ask me about what I’m reading WHILE I’m reading. I would love to engage with you about my book! However, you gotta pick a better time friend.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

Yes, I dislike that too. They often think it's rude of someone wants to read during lunchbreak at work, yet they don't realise it's rude to interrupt someone who is reading. (unless there is an emergency of course)
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I really lose it when some talkative person comes and perches themselves near me and starts talking when they can clearly see I am reading. :roll2:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

Anything noise around me, basically. I don't understand how people are able to concentrate in noisy environments.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”