Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
seahorse731
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seahorse731.html

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by seahorse731 »

No I really don't like lending out my books, but if it to someone I know is a book lover like me I will do it.. And I do it for my nieces and nephews because I want them reading!! And I can threaten them with bodily harm if they damage my books!! :D
dahlstromerin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahlstromerin.html

Post by dahlstromerin »

I only lend out my books to people I really trust, which in reality is my mom. If I do lend out to someone else I stay on them about reading the book and getting it back, some would call it nagging. I do not lend out my books to people that are known to abuse books.
Linkhorn

Post by Linkhorn »

It depends on the format. If I buy a book to keep it's hardback and I don't normally lend them outside my family. If it's a paperback I tend to read them then give them away. They aren't made to last forever and by the time I read them again the pages would be yellow and crumbling, or I'd have liked them enough to buy the hardback.
rainydayrun
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydayrun.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by rainydayrun »

Yes, especially if it's a good story that I want to share. I don't mind if they come back a little more warn looking, but I hate it when they come back with some mystery food stain.
sblake
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake.html
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar

Post by sblake »

I have loaned a few books on kindle lately....the borrowed book is returned automatically! No more missing books that way,
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar
missgray

Post by missgray »

I have never tried lending via Kindle but that seems like the only way to lend and not be heartbroken when a fav comes back all tattered and worn
Justmissnobrown
Favorite Book: Child of God by Lolita Files
Currently Reading: Who Asked You by Terry McMillan

Post by Justmissnobrown »

Simply put, I would prefer to lend someone money than my books. I get very territorial and selfish about my beloved books. People tend to "forget" they borrowed them, take obnoxious amounts of time reading them, or the WORST- LOSE and/or mysteriously misplace them. I have a very strict rule about loaning my books and I am worse than the CIA when locating a rogue borrower!

So I guess the answer is NO!
cpttyrene
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Currently Reading: Dreams of Steam
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by cpttyrene »

You have to be in my close circle of friends in order for me to loan a book, and only if it is a book that is easily enough replaced. I prefer to loan books only to those I know and trust and generally those friends know how to take care of the borrowed read so I don't sweat it. Generally they come back in the same shape since my reader friends love their books as much as I love mine.
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

I love the kindle loaning and only giving 2 weeks till the return is great. But you can only loan a book one time. I love to share what I read if the person is interested and as I carry my library with me I keep good records. lol
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

This is one of my downfalls. I really don't like lending out books, and for the most part don't get them back. Here's where my flaw comes in: I read a book and sometimes get excited about it and talk it up. If there's someone who I really think would enjoy it, I talk it up to them too. Then, I end up lending it out even know I know there's a good chance I will never get it back. Unfortunately, it seems like I do this more often than not with those who are less responsible with my property (probably with anyone's property for that matter). (You know who you are still has my Ozzy bio!) Sometimes, I end up buying the book again because I really wanted to have a copy I could read more than once. (Insert other person who has my Total Money Makeover book!)
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
pullfrumpy

Post by pullfrumpy »

Off-course I do lend my books to other. Cause I want to share my feelings with the people l like, though i have lost a number of books by doing that.
:?
feyindie60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feyindie60.html

Post by feyindie60 »

I have a hard time giving my books to anyone except my daughter and my best friend. So my daughter who is a librarian, has created a lending library within her library. I read teen fiction. She is librarian to an elementary school. We take our books in for the advanced readers and they are allowed to check them out. I feel very good about advancing the reading levels of 4 and 5th grade readers and my books stay in very good condition because my readers are motivated to get more books when they are finished.
hyridangel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyridangel.html

Post by hyridangel »

It depends on the book and the person. I love to loan e-books, because they come back the same way they left. However, paper books always tend to show some wear and tear when they are returned. But I love to share a good book, so more often than not, I will loan out a book to friends.
Rebecca_13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-13.html

Post by Rebecca_13 »

No! I don't think i've ever been lucky enough to get one of my books back that i have leant!

I also hate lending books to people specifically if i love it as i am worried they will ruin it; that they wont love it like i do or they'll interpret it wrong. I love the relationship you have with a book when you read it and begin to love it. Part of me always wants to keep it a secret when i have read a really good book.
yvonnes74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonnes74.html

Post by yvonnes74 »

The idea of lending my books out to others sounds good. However, every time I have ever lent a book out I have lost both the friend and the book. I am not sure why. I always dreamed of opening my own little used book/library store though... where I would be "loaning" my books out to complete strangers!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”