Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Cátia Rato »

I only lend books to people that know how important books are for me. So, I don't lend them do many people, thank the Lord.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Oh I lend out my books alright! I don't read a book twice, so once I've read it once, I can comfortably let you have it without bothering about it coming back. What's the point of just keeping it on my shelf when people need it more than the shelf does? I like people to experience what I experienced while reading the book.

-- 15 Sep 2017, 01:57 --
Btowntheatregal wrote:I always lend my books out. I view books this way -- each book has a life of it's own. It has a journey that maybe started when you picked it up off the shelf of a bookstore or ordered it new online. Maybe it started 50 years ago and has passed through a dozen different owner's hands. Every crease or crack or blemish, to me, is just a sign of the life it has lived and I appreciate that. It means it's been well loved. Maybe my book comes back to me or maybe it doesn't. If it's one I love, I will buy it again used. I guess a believe a book is always where it's meant to be.

Best,

Sharlene

I appreciate the view you take on this. Let's keep the used books going around. Thank you!
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I don't reread my books and my hubby isn't a reader so I don't mind loaning books. And if they make it back to me, it's not that big of a deal.
King Fisher
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-fisher.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by King Fisher »

Nope not me. Many people won't read it or return.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Fran wrote: One of my pet peeves is when I lend a book to someone & they lend it on to a 3rd party without my permission & then deny any responsibility for making sure it is returned. That really, really annoys me because I think it is extremly disrespectful.
True! This happened to me once and sadly, that book is now gone. Never doing it again unless someone close to me is borrowing.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Tsundoku-san
Currently Reading: Ilustrado
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Tsundoku-san »

Never. I don't like lending my books to others because I know that they wouldn't take good care of it much like I do. And I fear too that if ever I lend it, I'm afraid they might return it with some damaged or much worse it will be gone to someone's hands.
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I don't mid lending my books out to friends that I really trust and I know they will take good care of my books. My husband however is completely against it, he's always afraid I wont get them back.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

It depends on the person, i will only lend it if i know the person will treat the boook with the same level of care as i do. Sometimes i lend people because i want to encourage them to read but i have to say my goodbyes first :D
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Well I don't mind lending out my book but some people are irresponsible they don't take good care of things even borrowed items they treat them irresponsibly. So I will do that with serious caution to the borrower.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I like lending out books because it gives something to discuss the next time I would meet with the person. However, I will get upset if they are returned in a condition worse than before I lent out the book.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

The only two people I don't mind lending my books to are my mom and my sister. This is because we all love books with the same ferocity and we consider them treasures. Therefore, I know they will return them in pristine condition and in a timely manner. I had a friend years ago who borrowed a paperback and completely bent it backwards, ruining the binding. She could tell I was not pleased and bought me a new copy. Another friend borrowed three of my favorite books two years ago. She is an incredibly slow reader (which I did not realize at the time) and has still has yet to finish any of them. I won't lend any out anymore.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

In general, I do not like lending out books. Too many times they come back in rough shape, or sometimes they don't come back at all. Unless I know I am done with a book completely, I will not lend it out.
The lady Dor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by The lady Dor »

Issa not happening. It is as simple as that
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I believe in sharing. A book is a knowledgeable stuff. I never hesitate to lend mine. Some return me while others keep it for themselves. I just don't mind as if wanna reread i goggled it.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I prefer not to, but I would do it for a good friend, especially if it a book I really want them to read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”