Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by PABS »

I used to lend books, but I have stopped that practice. There were just too many times that I didn't get a book back. I don't accept books on loan either. What if I accidentally spill something on it? What if the other person expects me to reciprocate? No. If I want to read a book, I buy it or get it from a library.
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JoeyG01 »

Of course, if I'm finished with it, why not? Books are meant to be enjoyed by all. If I'm not going to read a book again, I don't like just leaving it in the house taking up space and collecting dust
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

No..I have had too many go walkabout :(
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I do enjoy lending out books to people. It's a fun way for me to share my love of reading with others. I do agree that the care of the book is crucial, however. If someone lends me a book, I take utmost care of it and I fully expect someone else to take care of my book that I lend them.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Cswrawr wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 18:31 I don't mind lending out most of my books. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love them so they are nearly always well taken care of and I do keep a sheet of paper on my bulletin board that says who has which books. There's a couple on there that have been gone quite a while and two that I'm fairly certain I'll never get back but that's life.
Exactly me! If I do lend a book to someone, they already know me well enough. Plus, I would only do that with those I know who would take care of the book. There has only been one instance, where every time I had seen them they were always giving my book back. Then, they moved and now I have no idea where they are. So, book gone.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I have never let anyone borrow a book from me in fear that I would never see it again. Now I have no books to lend to anyone anyway 😭

However, my mom and I used to let people borrow video games, movies, and handheld gaming consoles, but most of the time we never got them back. So talk about books? No thank you. I'll keep mine 😉
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I lent a book once and I almost cried. I never did it again. I'm too worried they won't take care of it as much as I do.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I used to be okay with lending books out until someone never gave me my book back. Since then I'm pretty protective.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I don’t mind lending books to people that I trust. Sometimes, if I’m done with the book and don’t want it anymore I will give it to them instead of just lending it. I
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I love lending my books to others because I love hearing their opinions about some of my favorites. It's especially nice when they return the favor, I am a big fan of book exchanges because you can discuss the books after you have read them.
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

I do lend my books to only my trusted friends who I know will return them after reading.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

Generally, no. :x I take good care of my things, and that includes my books, but I don't expect others to do the same especially because they don't value it the same way I do. I will, however, make an exception for my best friend or my sister because they know me well and know to treat it with care.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I stopped lending out books when people didn't return them. I get angry cause they ask to read the book and then they say they lost it. They don't bother to look for it or refund me. I like my stuff taken care of, so it is now a strictly no policy from me.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I don't mind lending or rather giving my books to someone. Books are meant to be read, and if it is just sitting on a shelf, it's not doing any good. Think of it this way: you are giving someone a trip to somewhere without paying a penny. Cheaper than a cruise.
Mitsu-Senpai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitsu-senpai.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: 1400532655

Post by Mitsu-Senpai »

I don't lend out anything anymore. Books, DVD's, Games... Not a thing. They either never make it back to me because they kept or lost them, broke them or let someone else borrow them. I think I've only ever had one person who borrowed a book from me lose it and buy me a brand new copy. I believe that was my 8th grade english teacher. I let her borrow one of my V. C. Andrews books and she lost it. It was a real beat up copy I got for .25 cents at a flea market. She bought me a new/like new copy. The last person I let borrow anything was a roommates friend who was over a lot. The first two books I had in the Stone Circles series by Terri Brisbin. She never gave them back and ignored my texts about it. I'm still very upset. I won those on goodreads. :x

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”