Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Amagine »

I like lending books out only so I can have someone to talk with about them. When I lend out books, I become obessive though. I'll constantly check with them to make sure not only are the reading my book but they still have it!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
isoconsultingservice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by isoconsultingservice »

Yes I would love to. I feel one should share the good things you have with others. I never mind to share my good books to others and help them also in gaining the knowledge. Instead of lending it for the money I would lend it for books only. Expecting others to lend me also with some of the good books they have.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I definitely do not like lending out my books to others. I lent my mom a book of mine once and absolutely freaked out when I caught her dog-earring the pages and making notes in the margins. Since then, it is very rare I will lend out my books. If I do, I usually dictate a list of rules and a deadline - I've had books go missing too. I find it's just easier not to lend out books, but it's hard to say no if someone does ask.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Definitely depends on who wants it. I know some of my friends are the dreaded page turners :evil: , however some of my friends are very much like me with books and will take good care. Sometimes I think it's great to lend out books, you get some of the buzz back from the first read again. However I always shove a bookmark in the book before I lend it out so there are no excuses :lol2:
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I don't like to lend my books out because they either never get returned or they are returned in terrible condition. I've had several books where I have lent them out and I would have to constantly remind the person to return them as it had been several months that they had them. When I did eventually get them back they were all bent and had stains on them. There are only a few people who I know will give them back and not damage them, so those are really the only people that get to borrow them!
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

If it's a book that I loved and I know that my friends are going to love it as well, then I will lend it out without a doubt. Since I buy most of my books for a dollar each, I won't be losing that much money if anything bad were to happen to the book.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I lend my book to people that I know will bring it back in good condition and equally hope to discuss the book with.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

I like to lend books to friends and acquaintances, who I know will treat the book with care and respect. I know that the book will be returned in good shape. And, if we can have a good, meaningful discussion about the book afterwards, that's a bonus!
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I am very selective with my lending and usually write my name in pencil on the inside cover which indicates that it is a loan only.
Cyril11

Post by Cyril11 »

It would definitely have to depend on who I'm lending it too. I'm actually fine with lending my book if I'm sure that te person whom I'm lending it too would take good care of it and will give it back in still perfectly good condition. One reason why I would want to lend someone my book is so that they can read what I've been reading so that I'll have someone to talk to about it. There have been lots of occassions wherein I didn't have someone who I can share my thoughts and feelings to regarding the book. Sometimes, it's nice to have someone feel the same way and have their own opinions and the book you've been reading.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Usually no, unless I really trust the person. The only person I really share my books with is my mother because I know I will get them back. So it pretty much just depends on the person.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jackie Levy
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jackie Levy »

I do not like to lend it my books the only person I allow to borrow my books is my mother and that is because she is disabled and lives with me and she normally only read unless I take her out of the house otherwise​I will not let anyone borrow my books
thecrescendo
Currently Reading: The Mystery Of Flight 2222
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thecrescendo.html

Post by thecrescendo »

In general, I don't like lending my books to others unless I know how they take care of their own books. I've also had way too many books that weren't returned and I'm not making that mistake again.
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

They never come back the way they were so no.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

I'm so picky and selfish when it comes to giving my books to others. Unless I trust you, I will never ever give my book to you. Ever.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”