Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by HailKingEbi »

no. people don't treat books right. they'll get it stained or write on it.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I lend my books only to a trusted few. As long as I know that they respect books as much as I do.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Oh no. I'd be too worried they won't take care of it as much as I would. I mean, my sister lent a book to her friend once and it came back damaged 😓
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I am funny about my books and don't really like lending them out but I will to another book lover who I know will look after it
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
JenJen13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by JenJen13 »

There was a time when I would have no issue lending out my books to friends of mine or family members. However I made the horrible mistake of letting out books to people and when they return them pages were bent, covers were ripped, or never saw any of my book babies ever again. Nowadays I am very protective of my books and do not lend them out to anyone. I just feel that other people will not treat my books with the same respect and care that I give them.
AzzyTheCreep
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AzzyTheCreep »

No. Never. I once gave a manga to a good friend, it was in perfect condition because it was one of my absolute favorites. I got it back one day and it was completely damaged - pages were ripped and it looked like someone dropped it in the water. Ever since then I am extremely reluctant about lending someone books, even to really good friends.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I used to lend my books in paperback but they never came back. Now I don't collect paperback books.
LCBabyBear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LCBabyBear »

No! God No! I have heart attacks if anyone touches my books. People are just so careless. They wrinkle or rip pages, get finger smudges on the cover, get dents in the spine, etc. I take excellent care of my books and I cant stand to see one looking dingy. Just no. No one touch my books!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

As much as I want to keep my book to myself, I prefer having someone to discuss the book with. I can't have that if I don't give it out. Although there's always a risk of not getting it back. Sometime ago, I misplaced a friends cherished novel and I felt very bad about it.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Jihyelovesbooks
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jihyelovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Jihyelovesbooks »

It's a mixed feeling for me. I let people borrow when they ask, but I'm very impatient. After maybe a week or two I will constantly ask for the book. I do have some friends who are avid readers, so I trust them a whole lot more with my books.

A funny story (not for me though haha), I once lent my book to a friend who worked night-shifts at a hospital. She left the book in the break room to read during breaks. While she was working, a colleague used the book as a pillow to take a nap on a couch. Long story short, another colleague of hers decided to play a prank on the one sleeping by pouring water over his head. They filmed it and put up on Facebook. No joke, I screamed when I saw an infinite amount of water (at least it felt like it) poured onto my book.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Never lend anything that you can't bear to part with permanently. Things tend to "happen" and you might never see the book again.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I used to but now I'm picky. Once, I lent out a copy of Order of the Phoenix. It took me forever to get back and now I can't read it because it's falling apart badly.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I don't mind lending my books but my previous experiences have taught me that once you lend it, it's never coming back. So nowadays I prefer not to
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

This is such a pet peeve for me! But honestly I really want to lend my books to people because I want to promote reading as much as possible. But more often than not, the people who borrow books neither read them, nor return them.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by spirituallove »

I am not keen about lending my books to others, especially if I know they are not as conscientious about looking after them as I am. If I know I can trust the person to take care of my book, I will consider lending.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”