Favorite book on a dystopian society?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Re: Favorite book on a dystopian society?

Post by queeennnkatie »

enshafer2 wrote:I think The Giver is a great one. Its written by Lois Lowry. It centers around a young boy in dystopian society which makes it more meaningful. And if I am. Not mistaken they are making it into a film to be released soon.
The Giver was an amazing dystopian book! Also it did become a film, and it was just as good!

However, my favorite is the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Amazing book. It's also a series on Hulu.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Redcraze »

mellysw wrote:Once again I find myself disappointed....no...OFFENDED at a favorite book thread. :)

I tease, I tease....

But I am surprised no one at least MENTIONED Alas, Babylon. "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank was my first foray into dystopian literature as a high schooler. I found it in my school library, and fell in love with the genre before I even knew it was a genre. It is somewhat dated, I admit this. It was written in the fifties, at the crux of the sixties. Nuclear war fear era.

Despite its being dated, though I have read and loved many a dystopian tale since, "Alas Babylon" is one I continue to turn back to and re-read. It is probably one of my top five favorite books of all time.

I do have to give Stephen King's "The Stand" a shout-out though. If "Alas, Babylon" had never been written, then "The Stand" would be my favorite bit of dystopian wonderful. :)
I'm delighted to see somebody who remembers Alas, Babylon !! I read it when I was a kid - in the early 1960s - and I really liked it. Now I can't remember much detail about it (let's blame senility). However I've never forgotten the title or the author's name.

-- 20 May 2017, 10:42 --

A fine dystopian novel, unjustly neglected, is The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess (a fine, unjustly neglected novelist).
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't think I have read anything under this subcategory though I am a crime/mystery/thriller/horror genre fan. Do The Running Man and The Long Walk written by Stephen King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman qualify?
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

My favorite is the Divergent series.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

What about Ender's Game? I think it counts as dystopian and I was really intrigued by the end of the first book.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

I like the story and the concept in the book, The Giver by Lois Lowry. It has been a while since i have read that but I still remember it was interesting.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Hard to name a favourite, as I have read many in this genre. Obviously "1984" is right up there, as is "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham. Recent enjoyable reads include "American War" by Omar El Akkad, and "Year of The Orphan" by Daniel Findlay. "Deus Irae" by Philip K Dick and Roger Zelazny is a post apocalyptic sci-fi tale. The book version of World War Z was very different to the movie, but very original and enjoyable.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I don't know of any new ones but my favorite is 1984. Brave New World is another really good one that I'd definitely reread!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I really enjoyed The Uglies by Scott Westerfield, it has similar aspects to A Brave New World; some ones place and status in the society is based on appearance.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Mines is The Atlantis Grail series by Vera Nazarian. Absolutely love it.
The Game is Life series by Terry Schott is good too.
I also like Susanne Valenti books too.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love dystopian stories. The way they take a possible future and add a twist is intriguing. I like Divergent, The Red Queen, Hunger Games, and The Maze Runner.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

The classic 1984.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I've read and really liked Brave New World and 1984 along with some of the newer ones like Hunger Games. My favorite is an older book, White Lotus, and I think the author is John Hershey but it's been a while since I read it so I'm not positive. It's a long story but well worth the time it takes to get through it.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

It is hard to beat George Orwell's 1984. Does Orwell's Animal Farm count? If so, it has to be up there too. But 1984 was so ahead of its time; we are now seeing some of its concepts play out in today's political reality as it has become harder to distinguish facts from so-called fake news.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I'm a huge fan of 1984; especially considering how society'so been developing. Still, for the emotional aspect, my favorite is The City of Ember.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”