Do you read books in your first language?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Do you read books in your first language?

Post by Misaela »

I live in Puerto Rico, and my first language is Spanish. I can read some things in Spanish, but the bulk of my reading is in English. I also dislike highly to read books that were written in another language, but translated to spanish. So much is lost in translation...
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I have read this post a number of times before. I think I haven't posted before is that I only read and speak English. If I could read in another language I would. Because they say if you don't use it you loose it. I agree with you that something either gets lost or added in translation
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I'm Portuguese and I used to read almost exclusively in that language but in these past three/four years I've been reading a lot more in English, French and Spanish. Right now, the bulk of my reading focuses in one of these three languages but there are books that I still prefer to read in Portuguese
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I actually have a hard time reading in my language. The writing style is so different, and I have to look hard to find something I find enjoyable.
iridescentpearl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iridescentpearl »

I have to agree with you. I'm polish, but I mostly read in english. I tried reading a few books in polish, but they just seemed really dead to me.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Books in Spanish are not dead, but many have politics deep set in. I can almost never enjoy a good book without any comment on politic parties.
iridescentpearl

Post by iridescentpearl »

I haven't read any polish books, but the english translations. Sorry for not being clear. I've read the hunger games and a few others and it looked like all the books were written by the same person.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Oh, okay! Yeah, I try to read books written in English in English, because you lose a lot, and you don't really know whoever translated it.
n1m
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n1m.html

Post by n1m »

My first language is Urdu but I rarely ever read any Urdu books; only english books. I used to read them when I was young as part of school work but haven't read any since over 3 years ago. It's just that I shifted to a different country and couldn't find much books in my first language and none of the people close to me recommended any, either.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I understand. Besides, English books are easier to access.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The only language I am fluent in is English as I am from the U.S.A. but if I could read in any other language I would choose Greek so I could read The Iliad in its original language. I was surprised to learn recently that the poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley, actually DID learn Greek for precisely the same reason.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

That is an excellent idea! And not just for the classics, but for those stories you would like to have in its original form.
Anandi Iyer Ghosh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anandi-iyer-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anandi Iyer Ghosh »

DATo wrote:The only language I am fluent in is English as I am from the U.S.A. but if I could read in any other language I would choose Greek so I could read The Iliad in its original language. I was surprised to learn recently that the poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley, actually DID learn Greek for precisely the same reason.
My first language is Tamil but I don't read any tamil books. I read only English books (Habit?). But I agree. I want to learn Greek, so that I read Odyssey and Illiad in the original language. And, I want to go to Greece just once.
Kariema

Post by Kariema »

I never liked translations into Arabic (my mother tongue). So, I read English and Arabic books. However, I might read a book translated into English. I love Paulo Coehlo and I only know Arabic and English.
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

English is my first language, so I have copious amounts of novels to read in my native language. However, I love it when the titles I am reading have characters speaking foreign languages in them. It helps me learn a bit, and I really find it exciting. WEB Griffin uses a lot of Spanish, French, and German in his novels. It's really enjoyable.

Skyler

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”