Do you read books in your first language?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sblake
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake.html
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar

Re: Do you read books in your first language?

Post by sblake »

I read exclusively in English, but I can read a bit of French and Latin.
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar
talia_in
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by talia_in »

I do because English is the easiest. I also speak Spanish but I probably would have a hard time reading in Spanish !
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Nope. My first language is Mandarin Chinese. I'm 20 now, but my language capability (in terms of writing, that is) is way below a 13 year old. It's odd. I speak in my mother tongue language; write in English. Being a bilingual is really confusing...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Yes I do, but I mostly read in English.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

Though my parents spoke in languages other than English that were their 1st language around their families, I never spoke anything but English growing up. So, this is a bit of a bummer, but it's all good! :-)
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I only know how to read and speak English, but when I studied Spanish and German in school I always found it difficult reading the small short stories because of how they sometimes translated out. My husband is Puerto Rican and he speaks both English and Spanish but he always has a harder time reading Spanish and when he talks to me about it he always says it comes down to how it translates.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

Ever since my French has become are advanced, I have taken to reading French books that were originally written in French. I think that reading in other languages definitely improves your fluency.

-- 04 Dec 2013, 11:21 --

Ever since my French has become are advanced, I have taken to reading French books that were originally written in French. I think that reading in other languages definitely improves your fluency.

-- 04 Dec 2013, 11:21 --

Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
Artemisia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

Misaela wrote:I live in Puerto Rico, and my first language is Spanish. I can read some things in Spanish, but the bulk of my reading is in English. I also dislike highly to read books that were written in another language, but translated to spanish. So much is lost in translation...
No... I must say i don't. I find my native language books boring.
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
Felisari
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: The Eight - Katerine Neville
Currently Reading: Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Felisari »

I read Mostly in Spanish.

but some in english and french. For example there are some authors that i love to read in French. Like Patrick Modiano or Muriel Babery.

I read faster in spanish so I use to :lol:

And Catalan, Of course. It's my second Mother tongue.
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Post by tstaf4d »

I am not Portuguese, but I speak the language fluently and occasionally read novels in Portuguese because it is hard for me to find ones that interest me.
"Words are heavy" The Book Thief
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Post by Ammonia »

My first language is Bulgarian, by I don't buy books in Bulgarian if I can avoid it. I agree with Misaela - much is lost in translation, indeed. I've been finding myself in ridiculous situations where I've been extremely irritated with the translators. Things like a word for word translation is driving me absolutely crazy. I mean, I've stumbled across a translation, in which the phrase "to beat about the bush" was translated as if the author meant to write the character's tour around some bushes!
Even though translations have driven me mad on numerous occasions, I would still prefer the English translation (if the book's in Spanish, for example) rather than the Bulgarian one.
Mandi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandi.html

Post by Mandi »

My first language is English, and most of the books I read are in English; however, I read quite a bit in German to practice the language so I don't lose it!
jellymonty
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Complete Series
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellymonty.html
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat

Post by jellymonty »

As a speaker of seven languages, I find that the only language I can read in is English. I'm half Portuguese and half Arabic but I can also speak French Spanish Greek Latin and Italian. Before my grandmother passed away, we always spoke Portuguese but after that English became my main language and can only enjoy reading in English. I thin English is a language that was made for reading because I tend to read more and write more in English than any other language.
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

English is my first language. However I agree that it is better to read books in their original language as thinks can be lost in translation that are essential to the understanding and feel of the novel. :-)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

My first and only language, English. I know some Spanish, but nothing to read fluently.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”