Worst book you ever read and why

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Worst book you ever read and why

Post by TammyO »

We all love to read books. However, there are a few books that simply did not live up to our expectations. Authors have been known to release books too fast in my opinion. For example, James Patterson was a favorite author of mine. However, his books started feeling rushed for some reason and left me wanting more. His characters weren't as developed in his later works. As a result, I have taken a break from reading his books.

Fifty Shades of Grey was a disappointing book for me because it contained too much sex and repetition for my taste. The book in my opinion, was listed in the wrong genre -- I unfortunately could not even finish the trilogy because of it. What book would get a place on your worst top ten list? and why?
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
jggoggans
Favorite Author: L J Smith
Favorite Book: Neighbor from Hell 123 by R L Mathewson
Currently Reading: Black Hearts
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jggoggans.html

Post by jggoggans »

Honor and Obey by Teresa Mummert. I know a lot of people do not agree with me, but this book was terrible. I was bored reading it and confused with the main characters and upset with the behavior and really pissed it was written so poorly.
Words from the page makes the movies play in my mind so I don't need no stinking TV
jelebaby

Post by jelebaby »

I would have to agree with you about James Patterson. His earlier books,, especially the Alex Cross series, were super! Now they seem mundane. He's involved in putting out so many books every year, with those co-authors, there is no way he can be writing all of them. What a bummer, since he used to be a great author.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

Have to agree about 50 Shades of Grey. It was just awful, awful writing! A friend lent me the book so thankfully I can at least say I didn't waste any of my own money buying it.
cheza
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheza.html
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano

Post by cheza »

I have mentioned, I think? , that I detest "Memoirs of a Geisha" oh so very much. What could have been a lovely story turned preposterous and ridiculous.
Latest Review: "Lost in the Wallpaper, Secrets of Days Gone By" by Heather Fahy Serrano
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

jelebaby wrote:I would have to agree with you about James Patterson. His earlier books,, especially the Alex Cross series, were super! Now they seem mundane. He's involved in putting out so many books every year, with those co-authors, there is no way he can be writing all of them. What a bummer, since he used to be a great author.

I agree! He also has several children's books out. He is really stretching himself way too thin. The idea never crossed my mind that maybe he isn't writing all of these books. Hmmm . One has to wonder. Thanks for planting a seed.

-- 28 Aug 2013, 19:23 --
cheza wrote:I have mentioned, I think? , that I detest "Memoirs of a Geisha" oh so very much. What could have been a lovely story turned preposterous and ridiculous.
Memoirs of a Geisha was such a popular book. I must admit that I didn't read the book though. What about it did you think was preposterous and ridiculous?

-- 28 Aug 2013, 19:37 --
jggoggans wrote:Honor and Obey by Teresa Mummert. I know a lot of people do not agree with me, but this book was terrible. I was bored reading it and confused with the main characters and upset with the behavior and really pissed it was written so poorly.
I agree with you. It was such a total cop out for the ending to end so poorly. Him becoming her submissive? REALLY??
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
nagathachristie
Favorite Author: Linda Howard
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagathachristie.html
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
fav_author_id: 8729

Post by nagathachristie »

The Twilight series. The capillaries in my eyes could have burst if I did not put it down.

Just wasn't for me. I couldn't get the angst and the writing style.
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

I agree. It was a love story that lasted way too long!
Kat Pascale
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fever33
Favorite Author: Stuart Woods
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Unintended consequences
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fever33.html
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
fav_author_id: 13261

Post by fever33 »

cheza wrote:I have mentioned, I think? , that I detest "Memoirs of a Geisha" oh so very much. What could have been a lovely story turned preposterous and ridiculous.
Agree!!
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
laura_askew88
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-askew88.html
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman

Post by laura_askew88 »

I'd have to say it was We the People by Bruce Bennett. I recently reviewed it and it was agonizing to get through. It really just wasn't my favorite topic. It's set in a collapsing America. I really detest politics so it was quite a struggle.
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman
blessed1tina
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessed1tina.html

Post by blessed1tina »

Beloved. The writing was entirely too complicated.
jacstar23
Favorite Author: Lauren Dane
Currently Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacstar23.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
fav_author_id: 14988

Post by jacstar23 »

Have I mentioned how much I hate the House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast?

I was really annoyed in the first book but thought it had potential, so I read the second book... Half the book was just a rehash of the first book, and the second half wasn't that impressive.

Each book just adds a new boyfriend for the main character and the overemphasis that she's not a slut... or at least she thinks she isn't as she continues to add boyfriends without getting rid of previous boyfriends...

and the "twins" annoy me more than anything - it's lazy writing, they're opposite in looks but identical in personality and shoe size or something... anyway, it's awful. don't know how that series grew into 8+ books

-- 02 Sep 2013, 19:45 --

Have I mentioned how much I hate the House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast?

I was really annoyed in the first book but thought it had potential, so I read the second book... Half the book was just a rehash of the first book, and the second half wasn't that impressive.

Each book just adds a new boyfriend for the main character and the overemphasis that she's not a slut... or at least she thinks she isn't as she continues to add boyfriends without getting rid of previous boyfriends...

and the "twins" annoy me more than anything - it's lazy writing, they're opposite in looks but identical in personality and shoe size or something... anyway, it's awful. don't know how that series grew into 8+ books
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Fifty Shades of Grey entire series. And the Sookie Stackhouse series.
jacstar23
Favorite Author: Lauren Dane
Currently Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacstar23.html
fav_author_id: 14988

Post by jacstar23 »

yup - I agree with that too... I couldn't even get through Fifty Shades because of the awful writing

and the Sookie Stackhouse series was up and down for me. I enjoyed the first book, not the second, liked the third and the introduction of Alcede, disliked the fourth... quit after that.
Garett Kelly

Post by Garett Kelly »

Have to agree with 50 Shades of Grey and the whole trilogy of it. Sex scenes were very much repetitive to the extent of word per word. Had to skip those parts and ended up finishing the whole 3 books in 2 weeks! :-) Fastest book I have ever read :-)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”