Holiday reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fridge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Holiday reading?

Post by Fridge » 06 Jun 2008, 11:20

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books for holiday reading. I'd like something easy to read, since I'm taking a transatlantic flight and hate aeroplanes, but I'm not interested in the usual 'beach reads' stuff you find at airport bookshops. As a vague guide, last year I took Scoop (Evelyn Waugh), Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Louis de Bernieres), Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro), and The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams). Unfortunately, I'm pretty stuck this year - everything I've picked up seems to be either too heavy to read for several hours at a stretch, or completely mindless. I'd like a happy medium. (Funny is always good too.) Thanks for any ideas you have.

sleepydumpling
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by sleepydumpling » 07 Jun 2008, 04:46

I love to read Bill Bryson when I'm on holiday. Reading Bryson makes it FEEL like a holiday to me!

Where are you going exactly?
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Fridge

Post by Fridge » 07 Jun 2008, 05:46

Thanks for the idea - I've read some of his books before and they would be great, so I'll have a look out for them. I'm going to New York, Chicago and DC: any books connected with those cities would be especially good.

sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling » 07 Jun 2008, 06:53

I did NY and Chicago over winter (I'm in Australia) and I read Bryson's I'm A Stranger Here Myself and Alexandra Potters Me and Mr Darcy during those weeks of my trip.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Pappy

Post by Pappy » 09 Jun 2008, 08:56

I just went on a weekend trip and read Bryson's Lost Continent on the way. Great book.

But usually I go for Christopher Moore. I read Lamb on a plane ride and it was great and then read You Suck: A Love Story on the way back. I didn't knwo when I read it, but there was a book that goes before that one, but it pleasantly ended up not really affecting the geatness of either book since they were written so well.

You can't go wrong with Moore.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”