Favorite Genre of Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Favorite Genre of Books?

Post by Scott »

What's your favorite genre of books? Why is it your favorite?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
DanteAzrael
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DanteAzrael »

My favorite genre of books probably would be historical fiction or historical. It's my favorite because I've always been in love with learning history. Even historical fiction is fun to fread because it drags me through some historical fact as well.

I guess other things I like to read are novels in the type of genre Ayn Rand wrote in.

After that, not quite sure.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, remain neutral.
blugurl35

Post by blugurl35 »

I love to read any book that contains a puzzle or sorts, something the reader has to figure out. Having to be involved and work at the reading is what I prefer. Jeannette Winterson said, "Reading is not a passive act. Books are not TV. Art of all kinds is an interactive challenge. The person who makes the work and the person who comes to the work both have a job to do." Although, I do enjoy easy mystery paperbacks too! :D
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I don't have a favourite genre per se, but I do love books that have a heavy character bias. For me, the best books have characters that feel real or that I fall in love with. It doesn't have to be a romantic love, I just find that characters I can "connect" with are what really draws me into a book and sets it in my heart.

I'll post the theory Nancy Pearl has about the Four Doors of a Book shortly.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

It's not really a genre- but I tend toward the noire twisted material. Chuck Palahunik is tops. But I love anything well written- TOni Morrisson, the beats, Keats, Dickinson, Milton, Dante, Freud, Williams, Moore, Lamb, Shakespeare, Dekker, I could keep going but I will spare you...

I also love classic detective fiction. Walter Mosley-esque stuff.

Actually, who am I kidding. I will anything. And if you have a good plot, intiguing characters, and write well, I love you. I fall in love easily. It's my one major fault.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I read everything. But my guilty pleasure is chick-lit and stuff you'd find in 'young adult fiction'.

Among my chick-lit heroes: Marian Keyes, Holly Chamberlain, Jane Green, Sue Margolis.
Which is a drastic difference from Joyce Carol Oates, who is a hero to me in her own right, with her own twisted version of chick-lit. (Doesn't hurt that she's from here).

And the young adult stuff... Have you heard of or seen the Gossip Girl series? I'm so hooked. Reviewers describe it as Sex & the City for the younger set, and I agree. Everyone makes fun of me for it, why am I, at 24, reading about snobby high schoolers, but it's addicting.
inkcharmed

Post by inkcharmed »

I'm all over the place too, but I do like a bit of a mystery, a bit of history, and a strong, usually female character. I used to love Marian Keyes too, but her latest books... no bueno. I didn't even finish her last one, Anybody Out There? or some such title.
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

I guess my fav topic to read is mystery/detective. I also love horror novels. I write in a variety of genres including horror, romance, young adult, myster/detective, sci-fi and more. I just love to read and write.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I love to try things I would not normally choose for myself. That's why I'm in several book clubs, so that I expand my reading horizon.

awelker

Post by awelker »

i read just about anything. normally when someone suggests a book i will look into it and if it sounds good i will read it. most of the time if it is given to me i will read it.
CatherineCatastrophic

Post by CatherineCatastrophic »

I love horror/sci-fi/mystery/fantasy. I really enjoy the creativeness of some books set in other worlds, time periods, etc. I just love being sucked into a world totally separate from my own. It offers a release from my own reality, which really kinda sucks sometimes.
Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

I don't have a favorite genre either, I only care that the book is good. But I do like books that help me to forget my own reality too Catherine, my life kinds of sucks too right now.
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I hear you ladies. Anything that removes me from reality for a little while is good.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My favorite genre is Espionage Fiction. I love a good spy novel. I love the subterfuge, the sneaking around, the fine line between good guys and bad guys. I enjoy the excitement as each page gets more and more intense until it crescendos to a dramatic climax.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I like supernatural and fantasy fiction, historical non-fiction, pre-1960 sci-fi, Old west non-fiction, about pioneers and outlaws, etc. Ive always been into escape literature and Ive always been facinated with history and how people lived and thought in the old days.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”