Reading More Due To Co-Vid 19

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Reading More Due To Co-Vid 19

Post by Carolreads30 »

As many of the citizens of the United States and other countries are struggling with being out of work and forced to stay home, I am wondering if more people will begin to read. Do you anticipate reading more the next few weeks due to the CO-VID 19 ( Corona) Virus? I can't say that I will read more, but I will have more time to enjoy reading.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think that more people will have time to read, and I plan to try to read more during this time. But I’m sure lots of people will still be busy trying to find work, etc.
Stay healthy!
-Thea M. Frederick
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Well, I know that I've been more bored than ever due to this stupid virus, lol. So it inspired me to buy this new book that I found on Amazon. It should definitely help me get thru this tough time being at home.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

In my case, I'm not necessarily reading more but I do have greater freedom to read what I want to. If not for the virus, I'd still be at college and reading assigned textbooks. Since I am home instead, I'm reading books that have been on my to-read list for a long while and also just finding new books that I'm interested in.

In general though, I do think many people will use their increased free time to read, provided they were readers in the first place. Of course, it depends on people's individual priorities and situations. Steam, the online gaming platform, has had a record number of users online in the past week, of which I am one.
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

Thea Frederick wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 16:53 I think that more people will have time to read, and I plan to try to read more during this time. But I’m sure lots of people will still be busy trying to find work, etc.
Stay healthy!
You stay healthy as well. I am sure there will be people that are trying to find work, but I am sure that there are some that will rediscover the magic that reading can bring to their lives.
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

gregs317 wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 12:35 Well, I know that I've been more bored than ever due to this stupid virus, lol. So it inspired me to buy this new book that I found on Amazon. It should definitely help me get thru this tough time being at home.
There is no greater joy than enjoying a new book when boredom sets in.
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

NatRose wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 14:36 In my case, I'm not necessarily reading more but I do have greater freedom to read what I want to. If not for the virus, I'd still be at college and reading assigned textbooks. Since I am home instead, I'm reading books that have been on my to-read list for a long while and also just finding new books that I'm interested in.

In general though, I do think many people will use their increased free time to read, provided they were readers in the first place. Of course, it depends on people's individual priorities and situations. Steam, the online gaming platform, has had a record number of users online in the past week, of which I am one.
Video games seem to have taken over most of the younger generations, but I am thankful that some children are still very fond of the written word and find that a book brings more joy than a joystick.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sadly, the stress of it (it's causing a very large amount of worry due to life/family circumstances) is making my (already horrible) stress-induced reading slump to double down.

This is made even worse because reading is one of the main ways I deal with stress.

There are literally times I wonder if I will ever read again. (I'm already convinced my reading will never again be at the level it was before, and it's breaking my heart.)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 22:02 Sadly, the stress of it (it's causing a very large amount of worry due to life/family circumstances) is making my (already horrible) stress-induced reading slump to double down.

This is made even worse because reading is one of the main ways I deal with stress.

There are literally times I wonder if I will ever read again. (I'm already convinced my reading will never again be at the level it was before, and it's breaking my heart.)
I am sure you will go back to it once it is beyond us.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read more to escape reality. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I do not know if I *WILL* read more while staying home and inside during the crisis, but it is nice to have the time where it can be an option to me. I know my fiancee has been reading everything he can get his hands on here lately.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

So far, I haven't been reading more. I'm not a fast reader. Maybe what changed is that I've been reading with fewer interruptions. I'm also less tired and have more focus while reading.
Jeno2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Jeno2018 »

I have started slowly to read more since I am at home full-time right now. I hope to be able to read more and more as the time goes on. I usually read when school is not in session, the only positive part to all this is that I now have a few extra months, since working at home is only part-time.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I am reading WAYYYY less actually.. as now my kids are home and I am home schooling all day. I. Am. Never. Alone!!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Oh yeah, I'm reading significantly more since self-quarantining due to COVID-19. I'm either studying certification books or looking up articles or reading fiction. My schedule before hadn't allowed for all this, but now, it's become clear what I would be doing, given extra downtime.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”