First real "adult " book that you read after your childhood?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
marla+duke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: First real "adult " book that you read after your childh

Post by marla+duke »

I remember being somewhere around the age of 11 or so and coming across a copy of Steven King's book Salem's Lot. That was probably what I'd consider an adult book. I was vacationing in the summertime and remember how dark it got a night time with no street lights of any kind. I was pretty scared out of my wits as I lay in bed waiting to see a vampire child come tapping at my bedroom window asking me to invite it in. Quite creepy but I loved the book.

Another first adult book may have been Jayne Eyre which remains my top three favorite books of all time. I can just picture myself out on the moors not seeing more than 20 feet ahead of me for all the fog.
Avid_reader

Post by Avid_reader »

Do you mean "adult" or "ADULT"? The first literary book I read was Journey To The End Of The Night. The first naughty book was Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I'd have to say the first adult book I read was Pride and Prejudice. I was in 9th grade when I read it.
lyla_ibrahim
Favorite Author: No one specific
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyla-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by lyla_ibrahim »

Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella. My friend introduced the book to me and I got hooked with Sophie Kinsella ever since.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
newlndnfire
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newlndnfire.html
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf

Post by newlndnfire »

Honestly, I can't even remember. I've been reading adult books since at least 13/14. I'm not much older but I've devoured so many books that I honestly just can't remember. Although, I do remember Stephen King's "It" scaring me so much that I had to put it down.
"If dog's don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they go."
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf
Linkhorn

Post by Linkhorn »

Agatha Christie, Neville Shute and Georgette Heyer. They were the colorful paperbacks on my parents on my parents bookshelves that I would read when I didn't have anything of my own to read.
"We travel not for trafficking alone; By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned." J.E.F.
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

"Pet Sematary" by Steven King. I was in 6th grade at the time and my older sister was reading it. I wanted to read it so bad, but my mother said I was too young. That just peaked my interest even more, so when I stayed home from school for a week with strep throat, I took the opportunity to read it. That book scared the heck out of me, so I guess mom was right!
lyla_ibrahim
Favorite Author: No one specific
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyla-ibrahim.html

Post by lyla_ibrahim »

Linkhorn wrote:Agatha Christie, Neville Shute and Georgette Heyer. They were the colorful paperbacks on my parents on my parents bookshelves that I would read when I didn't have anything of my own to read.

I read the Malay translation of Agatha Christie books when I was 10. Guess that also counts as adult books..haha.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think mine was "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
K08nr01
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k08nr01.html
Latest Review: "Percarus" by Lexmilian de Mello

Post by K08nr01 »

Stephen King's The Stand. I actually saw the tv series before sitting down and reading it.
Latest Review: "Percarus" by Lexmilian de Mello
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

A novel by Sandra Brown. The intimate scenes shocked me.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats a long time ago for me. The only one I can remember is one called Bend of the Snake by Bill Gulick. I read it when I was around 12 or 13.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

I was reading adult books in the fourth grade. The first one was a library copy of "Born Free" by Joy Adamson.
My parents were to cheap to buy me toys (or books), so the library was pretty much all I had.
Ashah Taylor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashah-taylor.html

Post by Ashah Taylor »

I read 'The Da Vinci Code' when I was ten if that counts. Otherwise, I first read the first 'The Lord of the Rings' book when I was about twelve
sonorajlm79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonorajlm79.html

Post by sonorajlm79 »

Sandy4th wrote: My love of horror fiction began with Stephen King's "It". I love a good scary book that is creative, not just blood and guts like so many of today's horror stories, especially movies.
It is the first adult book I ever read, believe it or not, and I read it when I was 10. So scary, but I loved it! I followed it up with Les Miserables, which to this day is still one of the longest books I have ever read! :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”