First real "adult " book that you read after your childhood?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

First real "adult " book that you read after your childhood?

Post by suzy1124 »

My first " serious " book that i read while in high school was: " The Good Earth " by Pearl S. Buck...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

The lines are blurred for me but I'd probably have a guess and say my parents old James A Michener paperbacks.
At 1000-plus pages "Hawaii" was my favourite. Sentimentalist that I am, they're in a cardboard box somewhere.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
nikitarenee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikitarenee.html

Post by nikitarenee »

I never really read books geared toward children unless they were assigned by my teachers, so I'm not sure at what point "childhood" ends in that case. I read the Hobbit in 3rd grade, if that counts! I think the first classic I read as a teenager that was not an assignment at the time was probably 1984, by Orwell. Excellent read.
Delane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delane.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Delane »

The Funhouse by Dean Koontz! I couldn't put it down. :mrgreen:
Sianna

Post by Sianna »

Delane wrote:The Funhouse by Dean Koontz! I couldn't put it down. :mrgreen:
Oooh, that's a creepy one!

The first real "adult" book I read was Creature by John Saul. That was the beginning of my adolescent John Saul obsession. I think I read it because a boy I had a crush on was reading it. I've loved horror ever since. :)
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

One that comes to mind as one of the first adult books I read was Hold That Tiger by Mabel Stark.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
fiorabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiorabelle.html

Post by fiorabelle »

nikitarenee wrote:I never really read books geared toward children unless they were assigned by my teachers, so I'm not sure at what point "childhood" ends in that case. I read the Hobbit in 3rd grade, if that counts! I think the first classic I read as a teenager that was not an assignment at the time was probably 1984, by Orwell. Excellent read.
I can't recall the first adult book I read either, although the one that left the most impact was "1984". It's still one of my favourites! :)
unsophisticated

Post by unsophisticated »

The summer I turned 13 I slogged my way through what seemed endlessly lengthy descriptions of Paris in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. When I emerged on the other side to stand and watch Quasimodo struggling at the end of his rope I remember thinking that the feeing in my gut must be the difference between grown-up books and those I'd been reading up until then.
dantier27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dantier27.html

Post by dantier27 »

The first adult book I read was "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. To this day, it is one of my favourite books of all time. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it!
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

It was Jane Eyre. I'd watched the film on TV and was desperate to read it.
book4mynerds

Post by book4mynerds »

Even though I was 16 when I started reading about adult issues. My first adult book I read was "Miss Julie". Its very dark, tragic and contains traces of sado-masochism. It's very interesting.
Sandy4th

Post by Sandy4th »

I was an avid reader even as a child. The adult book that comes to mind that had an impact on me when I was a teen is The Grapes Of Wrath, still one of my favorite books. What an amazing story of strength and determination to survive despite circumstances beyond our control.

-- 24 Jun 2013, 23:26 --
Sianna wrote:
Delane wrote:The Funhouse by Dean Koontz! I couldn't put it down. :mrgreen:
Oooh, that's a creepy one!

The first real "adult" book I read was Creature by John Saul. That was the beginning of my adolescent John Saul obsession. I think I read it because a boy I had a crush on was reading it. I've loved horror ever since. :)
My love of horror fiction began with Stephen King's "It". I love a good scary book that is creative, not just blood and guts like so many of today's horror stories, especially movies.
AGNES FAVOUR JOHN

Post by AGNES FAVOUR JOHN »

your meaning of adult generates a ;lot of discourse there..however,the book which made me feel mature and have a new perspective about life was THINK BIG,by Ben Carson
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Welcome here Agnes...........Wow! such an inspiring author!...imho he's going to be the next president of the United States!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
reagan ralston

Post by reagan ralston »

Brave New World in 9th grade. I still love all things Huxley!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”