Contemporary Immigration Stories

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
johnegood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Contemporary Immigration Stories

Post by johnegood »

I sorted through my reading of the past year and noticed a few themes. One is Contemporary Immigration stories.

House of Sand & Fog by Andre Dubus III. This was the first Oprah suggestion that I followed. Also the best.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Everyone knows this one and it's sequel.

A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. By Ishmael Beah. This was heavily promoted by Starbucks. Brutal story about a boy who enslaved and drugged to fight in the war in Rwanda until he is rescued by Aid workers. True story.

Sold. By Patricia McCormick. This novel tells how a girl ends up as a sex slave in Calcutta. She, like the boy soldier slave in A Long Way Gone, is rescued by American aid works. Unlike the others, it doesn't end with her in the US: she's back with her family.

Am I the only one who seems to read in themes? Another recent theme was a pair of books on religion. Actually, I bought 4 but I found 2 of them to be unreadable.
Eric

Post by Eric »

The best contemporary immigration novel I've read recently is Dave Eggers' "What Is The What", which is loosely based on the experiences of a Sudanese man who flees his native land in the midst of the civil war, lives in deplorable conditions as a refugee in neighboring African countries, and finally arrives in the U.S. (where he is robbed, tied up, and held at gunpoint by theives who prey on new immigrants). It's an excellent book and I highly recommend it!
Freedom of conscience entails more dangers than authority and despotism. -- Michel Foucault
Inkling

Post by Inkling »

House of Sand & Fog by Andre Dubus III. This was the first Oprah suggestion that I followed. Also the best.
House of Sand and Fog was one of the few books that managed to make me cry. Superb story.
To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I've read quite a few too, but do you think I can think of any just now?
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”