Ever sneak a look at the end of a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Re: Ever sneak a look at the end of a book?

Post by Major »

You are negating the writers mechanism by doing this, it would be like adding colour to the Mona Lisa or taping over parts of 'Wish You Were Here', because you believed you could improve on it.
If you feel the compulsion then the book is not working for you and should be disposed of.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

When I was younger I would most definitely read the last couple pages. Now, I do not. I like to see where it goes. Then when I read the book again, I like to try to fit everything in.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I read the last line of almost every book I've ever read. Crucify me. But I just can't help it; reading the last line has prepped me for lots of heartbreak.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Sometimes :) It's not that bad, actually. If you do it before reading the book, you won't even get it as you don't really know what the book is about. Summaries often give only the beginning of the book so even if you take a look at the end, you most likely won't reveal too much.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
JFrancis
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfrancis.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by JFrancis »

My stepson is always joking that the Read-Ahead police are going to come and cart me away someday. I try not to turn to the back pages, but it's hard to resist.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Jaycoblane
Currently Reading: The Glass Castle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaycoblane »

I always read the last sentence of a book. Mostly if it's like a Stephen King novel or one of that sort. Knowing the last sentence kind of makes it fun, but I don't read any more of the ending than that. I spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how that last bit connects to the story as a whole.
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by JanieReads »

I try so so so hard not to! A lot of the books a read are thrillers so I find myself wanting to read the very last line of the chapters that are super intense to see how the action turns out. I feel guilty afterwards though, like I'm cheating the author out of surprising me
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I tend to sneak a peek at the last paragraph of pretty much every boon I read. It doesn't really help me understand what is going to happen at the end of the book, so I don't feel like it ruins the book. I just enjoy the feeling of realizing, "Oh, that's how that happened" once I have reached the end of the book.
Ivan L
Currently Reading: Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-l.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00OTWPS52

Post by Ivan L »

I never do it. If I'm reading a book, why would I spoil it by reading the end? What would be the reason to read the rest of the book then?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Yes. I think i did once on a book and i regretted doing it. It's like MAJOR SPOILER and I've ended up predicting the entire book. :( After that, even if i was tempted to sneak at the end, i stop myself. :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I do this with most books I read and strangely it doesn't dampen my reading experience one bit. Rather it relieves me of a build up of suspense that I can no longer bear!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I do this more often than I'd like to admit. It's not usually actually reading the end, though. Instead, I look up spoilers online. Sometimes it's because I have to put the book aside for a while (I talk reading-intensive courses so it happens) and sometimes I'm just impatient. I've been trying very hard not to do it recently and I didn't start doing it until high school. I still finish the book no matter what my feelings are on the ending when I do this, and I'm really trying to break myself of the habit because it taints the reading experience for me.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

Hello everyone, I'm new in here. :tiphat:

To answer the question, yes, I did. Once or twice. I was reading a detective story by Agatha Christie then as I am a huge fan of detective stories and thrillers, and the plot was so full of suspense that I wasn't able to help myself because I just had to know who was the killer. But although I went on to keep reading the rest of tbe story afterwards, the feeling just wasn't the same. Which is why I never did it again.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

If I really like whichever novel I am reading, I never do this since it would ruin all the suspense and fun, especially in crime and detective novels. there is no point doing it in romance novels since apparently, the end is just the couple coming together after solving all their problems. I sometimes do it in books which I do not find interesting, and if I find the climax not up to my expectations, I just stop reading and go get myself another novel.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I try as much as possible not to do this so as not to spoil it for me. There was this book I really liked, it seemed too long to the end and I had a picture on my head of how I wanted the story to end, so I took a sneak peak and it turned out as I expected, made me read the book faster with excitement, don't know why though.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”