FOR STUDENTS! Do you still read around exam time?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sam_Timmins
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Alex Cross Series
Bookshelf Size: 0

FOR STUDENTS! Do you still read around exam time?

Post by Sam_Timmins »

Hi :D I have GCSE exams coming up soon and I tend not to read a fiction book in the lead up to exams. I guess it's because I'm already reading loads of texts books so the xbox makes a nice change when I'm having a break from revision :P Also I feel like I should be reading a revision guide not a fiction book. I'll find it hard to really get in to a book when I'm busy revising too.. including reading other texts for my english exams. However I can't wait till the day of my last exams so I can pick up a book again and fit as many as I can in during the summer. So to other students and all: would you/do you still read in the lead up and during exams?
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I'm not a student right now, but I still have very clear memories from when I was in college a few years ago. Looking back, I can say that I did still read during exam time. I was an English major so I had a huge load of academic reading to do for all of my classes, but I still craved my own book choices during my down time. I found reading my own picks to be relaxing and therapeutic.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I always stopped reading anything that wasn't on topic during stressful periods at uni because I knew I'd get to into it and not do any revision! I also stop now at work if I've got a lot going on because I can never reel myself in to do actual work if I'm in the middle of a book I love.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I like to read short stories or fanfiction during exams to destress. Something simple that doesn't require a lot of investment.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

I DO!!! :'( I get very much interested to read books especially at the exam time coz exam syllabus will make you tire like anything at all!
amarini

Post by amarini »

I think it depends on the person and how fast and well they can memorize and remember things. Myself I always found time to read because it's calming and keeps me from stressing when I finish an exam. Studying is all well and good but if you study too much you'll get stressed and do badly anyway. Don't you think? Besides, I enjoy it too much to stop even for a few days in a row. My advice is to plan some free time.
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

It all depends. If I were to be studying for a periodic test, studying would not interfere with my reading, but in the case of major tests and finals, yes it does keep me from reading. It's such a pain to be separated from my books but knowing that we will reunite soon motivates me!
Dyuti18

Post by Dyuti18 »

I am doing my engineering and we have 4-5 days before each exam. So sometimes I manage to read a book

-- 16 May 2013, 05:51 --

I am doing my engineering and we have 4-5 days before each exam. So sometimes I manage to read a book
JMK94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmk94.html

Post by JMK94 »

I cannot read around exam time. I have to focus on studying the material and finishing up papers and projects. However, right after exams I start reading again and love it! Over the summer is when I get to read the most.
khurram4446

Post by khurram4446 »

Yes we are still read around the examination to improve my position in Exam, and this reading helps me in Examination and other fields of Life
meskinka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meskinka.html

Post by meskinka »

I usually don't because 1. I'm too stressed to read other stuff besides what I need to read for my class, and 2. I'm too busy to read any other stuff. Althought, interesting point my creative writing professor told us he would read all the time before exams because it was his way to get his mind out of stuff, mainly distractions. He would read Stephen King.
_lew14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lew14.html

Post by _lew14 »

Usually around exam time I have far too much on my plate and I am far too stressed to read. Although I wish that I could spend all of my time reading, I can't. When I need to focus on chemistry or calculus, I have to push whatever book I had lasted picked up to the back of my mind. Once I start a good book it is hard for me to put it down, so I try to finish a book before I start cramming for exams, as well as not start a new book until after all of my exams are finished.
simply_joss
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simply-joss.html

Post by simply_joss »

Usually during exam weeks I spend most of my free time studying but I usually still try to read a book before I got to sleep to get my mind off of all the work. Nonfiction makes me feel like i'm still studying so I try to only read fiction during exams.
SarahBGoode
Favorite Author: Emma Forrest
Favorite Book: Your Voice in my Head
Currently Reading: The Accidental Adventurer - Ben Fogle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahbgoode.html

Post by SarahBGoode »

I read a little around my exams, just to break the stress and give my brain a rest from text books and revision. But usually after a day of revising I am too tired to read much anyway. Now that my exams have just finished for the year I am going nuts and reading two books at once :roll:
angelaj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelaj.html

Post by angelaj »

I try to stay away from books during exam time because once I find a really good book, I find it really difficult to put it down. I do read short stories during exam time to get a break from textbook reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”