The 2008 Orange Prize Shortlist - announced 15th April

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rach
Bookshelf Size: 0

The 2008 Orange Prize Shortlist - announced 15th April

Post by Rach »

The Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction is awarded to the woman who, in the opinion of the judges, has written the best, eligible full-length novel in English.

This year's Short list is:

* Nancy Huston - Fault Lines
* Sadie Jones - The Outcast
* Charlotte Mendelson - When We Were Bad
* Heather O’Neill - Lullabies for Little Criminals
* Rose Tremain - The Road Home
* Patricia Wood - Lottery

Winner announced - 4th June 2008 (UK)
Rach
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rach »

I'm really interested if anyone else has read any of these!!

So far I have read the top 3 and have just started Lottery. My favourite at the moment is Fault Lines, followed very closely by The Outcast and finally When we were Bad.

Fault Lines is an amazing story that is told from the perspective of four people spanning four generations. Each story is told from the child's perspective when they were 6 years old. I loved the concept, but it is the way that Nancy pulls it off which is amazing, threading little pieces of information from each, as it is viewed by the child. There is a core story here, but the book is also so much about the relationships between each of the characters and how the past has a way of seeping into the future. It works backwards starting with Sol in 2004, and not to give anything away, is a bit of a disturbed child! This is my pick so far!

The Outcast is a deep and heart stirring story. It starts with the release from Prison of a 19year old boy, but then skips back in time telling the story up to and past that point. I found it profound and emotional, and is so well written, both easy to read and compelling.

When we Were Bad is a modern tale of a large mostly grown up Jewish Family in London. They are a popular and envied family who give off the view that they are united and comfortable. The story starts at the first crumbles of this facade and progresses through their journey. I did enjoy this book but found it difficult to get into and relate to as I am not Jewish so am not familar with their customs and quirks and found the book didn't really make it easy for a non Jewish person to connect.

:) Rach
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have not read any of them, but I will try to read at least a few since they are good enough to make the list. I'll probably start with Fault Lines since that is your pick so far, Rach. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”