A Quiz - What Book Is This ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: A Quiz - What Book Is This ?

Post by DATo »

Since this thread has not been posted to since 2013 I thought I would bump it for any new fans of "The Book In Question" who have not seen it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I had to read Ender's Game in high school and absolutely loved it. Re-read it a few years ago and I still love it. I've never thought of it compared with Harry Potter but those were some intriguing points. Thanks for the interesting post.
abcmama89
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31">Shades of Twilight</a>
Currently Reading: The Children's Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 147

Post by abcmama89 »

Wow I was really thinking harry potter
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I was really shocked when I read this. I was so sure that the points were describing Harry Potter that I didn't even read all of them and skipped to the end. When I saw it was describing another book, I had to re-read it. To an extent, most books are copies of another. For example, the theme of a a boy with special powers who is the only hope for the world has been used countless times. But this may have gone a bit too far with way too many similarities in one book. Thanks for this discussion. Definitely eye opening.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Wow. I only thought Ender's Game because I'm one of the few who have never read the Harry Potter books (just saw the movies). I recently read the Ender Quartet and I loved them so much, especially Speaker For The Dead.

I believe that it's ok to be inspired by someone else's work, but it becomes something completely different when you use it as a base for your own work. It seems that as soon as a book becomes popular, new up and coming writers just basically use the same story with different names.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Deee wrote:Wow. I only thought Ender's Game because I'm one of the few who have never read the Harry Potter books (just saw the movies). I recently read the Ender Quartet and I loved them so much, especially Speaker For The Dead.

I believe that it's ok to be inspired by someone else's work, but it becomes something completely different when you use it as a base for your own work. It seems that as soon as a book becomes popular, new up and coming writers just basically use the same story with different names.
Howdy Deee *Waving* ~~~~~~~ YOU ARE THE WINNER !!! *LOL* Only one other person (at another website forum) picked Ender's Game and that was only because I used the word "twist" in the title of the thread. He figured it was obviously Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone so he picked the "other one". *L*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Deee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>

Post by Deee »

DATo wrote: Howdy Deee *Waving* ~~~~~~~ YOU ARE THE WINNE? ! *LOL* Only one other person (at another website forum) picked Ender's Game and that was only because I used the word "twist" in the title of the thread. He figured it was obviously Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone so he picked the "other one". *L*

Yay! Did I win an entire book series for FREE? Lol

I only thought of it first because Ender's Game was still fresh in my head and had a great impact.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Congrats, Deee!

I'm unfamiliar with Ender's Game, so I'd have never gotten it.
Deee

Post by Deee »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Congrats, Deee!

I'm unfamiliar with Ender's Game, so I'd have never gotten it.

Thanks!

It's a really great sci-fi novel, but even if that's not your favorite genre, I think you'll still enjoy it. It's very thought-provoking.

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

OK, I'll look it up! :-)
Gennykay
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gennykay.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Gennykay »

I was thinking Harry Potter! I feel a bit self-ashamed. ):
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
sm1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie. The movie wasn't really good but the book seems to be interesting.
DATo

Post by DATo »

lady_charlie wrote: 27 Mar 2013, 21:30
Well, I didn't mean I was going to give up on movies, I meant I was going to refrain from writing the Great American Novel.

The Red Violin, eh?
I will look for that.

Hey - got another one. West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet.

Oh, I get why Apocalypse Now didn't fit - because Coppola did it on purpose.

-- 27 Mar 2013, 21:34 --

Oh hey - Theseus and The Minotaur and The Hunger Games
Actually, much like the Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now comparison, West Side Story was intended to be seen as a modern day remake of Romeo and Juliet. There was no duplicity intended.
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”