Books with illustrations or without?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cia1018
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cia1018.html

Re: Books with illustrations or without?

Post by cia1018 »

I am only interested in illustrations or pictures if it is a non-fiction, technical or historical type that would justify an illustration. I prefer my fiction without.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I don't choose books based on whether they have illustrations or not. However, I do find it enjoyable to find an illustration in a book, especially since they have become scarce.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

Illustrations are great as long as they don't contain any inappropriate images such as nudity. They add to books like Little Men by Lousia May Alcott, and other older books.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can't even remember the last time I SAW a book with illustrations, much less read it. Where do you even find these, outside of the children's section? I don't mean to sound condescending (I really didn't intend for that at all!) but I really didn't even know these exist.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:I can't even remember the last time I SAW a book with illustrations, much less read it. Where do you even find these, outside of the children's section? I don't mean to sound condescending (I really didn't intend for that at all!) but I really didn't even know these exist.
There are many versions of classic novels that reproduce the original illustrations. My entire Dickens collection is illustrated. I just read Pride & Prejudice, which was illustrated as well. It's probably more common that books these days aren't illustrated, but some still are.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

Depends on the style of book, that is for sure, in general I like them when they feel like they belong!
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Post by rjhaug »

If I read to younger children I perfer the pictures to help them get a picture of the story. But I for myself don't really care about the pictures. I have a pretty vivid imagination and can get visual aspects of the story fast. Plus I like to picture what I think the charracters or settings would be. get so disapointed when the reamke a book in the movie and the main characters are not even what I would have chosen. Maybe I should consult with producers over which big stars make better book stars.
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I think it depends on the book. Some are more easily interpreted with illustrations, but I feel like that takes away from what my imagination can sometimes come up with. I love, love biographies with illustrations and pictures though.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
SUTHASKY

Post by SUTHASKY »

I love books with illustrations especially the ones who are very intricate with every details of it until I can visualize them and become one of the characters.
Carleyjade
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carleyjade.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Carleyjade »

I prefer books without illustrations as I like to create images of the characters for myself. The only thing is that then when a film is made of the book, my creations are ruined by the actors on screen as they are not as I imagined them!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have recently realized that I don't like reading non-fiction books unless it has illustrations/charts/graphs or whatever to present visualized forms of information. Especially if the information is in any way scientific. It just seems like such a good idea to have things represented in both words and in pictures in that case.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This is strangely fitting question for me right now.
The book I'm reading is self published and I want illustrations so badly.
It calls for it. The strangeness of this world could really support, and be supported by, some well placed illustrations.
I think sci-fi and fantasy could use more illustrations sometimes though.
Normally I don't really think about it though.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
chrishenning94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrishenning94.html

Post by chrishenning94 »

I prefer to make the illustrations with my imagination. I love opening a novel and seeing nothing but words to absorb. I have a very active imagination, and even as a child I never really read books with illustrations. I think this helped me with my writing voice throughout school and in some short stories that I have written over the years.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I like some illustration. The ones you usually find in Dickens' novels, for example, I get excited about. Roald Dahl would illustrate his own fiction and they're very fun (see The Twits). They can often offer interesting insights into what the author imagined (in Roald Dahl's case).
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I like illustrations, but most of the books I read don't have them, and I am perfectly fine with that.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”