Books with illustrations or without?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Re: Books with illustrations or without?

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

It depends on the book/author.

Tolkein, yes! His maps are amazing.

Any non fiction book, I enjoy the pictures, etc.

Blessings
?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

For me it depends on what type of books I read. For school, if I am reading a textbook like history or literature for example, I like having pictures and illustrations that help draw out the concepts. But when I'm reading fiction, I don't tend to like illustrations. I read a few books recently where there were illustrations at the beginning of each chapter depicting the main characters, and I actually didn't like it because I had picture in my mind of how the characters actually looked, but the drawings in the book were messing with my imagination and I liked the way I imagined them better.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I prefer books that have illustrations. Like you said, I can picture what happens in the story more clearly. This is usually the case for books that are longer than 400 pages and fictional. Non-fictional books don't require as much imagination from me.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

Sometimes I like illustrations and sometimes I don't. It depends on the book.

I think children's books should have lots of illustrations because it helps them learn how to use their imagination by giving them pieces to work with. It's unfortunate that, as children get older, books written for children do away with illustrations. I really think that children should be reading books with pictures all the way through to their senior year in high school. Books are too diverse to assume that everyone can picture scenes on their own. And when you do picture your own scenes without any help, are you really learning about the setting and the characters or do you just think that you're doing it right? Some people would argue that it doesn't matter, that they should be free to imagine whatever they want. But how do we do history justice if we don't have professional illustrations?

And then another issue comes to mind, one that is difficult to weed out, and that's illustrations done by people who don't know what the scenes should actually look like. It promotes an inaccurate view of history that is difficult to get out of people's heads, even once they become adults. People get attached to incorrect imagery and don't want to let go, even if it's a really bad misinterpretation. If we hand an adult a book and assure them that it is accurate, will it help them grow or will they refuse to change their point of view? And back to a previous point, and that's that some people would argue that it doesn't matter. But is that true? Does it really not matter? Do we sacrifice history in exchange for art? What do you think? Does it bother you if the scenes are inaccurately depicted or do you just go with it? Do you feel like there should be a stronger effort to fix errors?

I must say, I don't always know when I am looking at the right picture or not. And, at times, I wonder if I am really learning something or if I am just simply building my imagination. Neither route is bad, I just prefer education and imagination, and so I can appreciate illustrations in books even for adults. Sometimes, it's good to have a little help.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

It depends on the illustrations. If they are just gorgeous pictures then I definitely don't mind. I love classic children's books illustrations. Especially ones from like the early 1900s. I usually go for non illustrated books for books I read myself, but I am not against illustrations in an adult book.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I'm not really swayed one way or another. Some illustrations at the beginning of chapters is okay, but not necessary.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

I would like to see a book with plenty of illustrations.

Can anyone recommend a book like that? Not a graphic novel.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I prefer a book without illustrations because it leaves a room for my imagination and visualisation to go wild and without constraint.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Illustrations are usually found only in children's books. Perhaps it would be nice if they met more often in books for grown-ups readers.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I read both kind of books but i love books with bright illustrations.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

depends on the genre. sometimes an illustration can help the book but many times, illustrations are unnecessary. A map at the beginning of a world building book is fantastic though.
Spencer Mack
Diana_2018
Currently Reading: Fresh Girls And Other Stories
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-2018.html
Latest Review: "Better dead than divorced" by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas M.D.

Post by Diana_2018 »

I like books without illustrations. The only good thing for me with books that have illustrations is that the pages I have to read have lessened, which means I'll finish reading earlier. Lol.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

Not for fiction usually although I like the hard copy version of The DaVinci Code with pictures, that helps to identify important parts of the story. Non-fiction yes illustrations are great.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I don't mind whether a book has illustrations or not. It is actually a distraction to have them because I have to pause while reading, but that's okay.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Books with illustrations bring life into the book. I love such books and I usually go back and forth between the pictures and the text. It plays a major part in sustaining readers interest.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”