My Favorite 1st Line of a Novel - what's yours?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
IanBookMan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IanBookMan »

you are correct!
It was the Outsiders.
I actually forgot to add the source - I guess I unintentially did make it a contest.

But that's a good idea - maybe get some book general trivia going, like quotes, characters etc.
Spoons

Post by Spoons »

sounds like a good plan
There is no greater misfortune in the world than the loss of reason
Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I find it extremely difficult to go past the opening line of Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice...
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
...it perfectly captures the skillfully subtle Horacian satire that is to come in the following lines, paragraphs, pages.
To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe.
Franklin Bivens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Franklin Bivens »

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed
This opening sentence is from Stephen King's book The gunslinger from the The Dark Tower series?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”