Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cmoobs04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by Cmoobs04 »

puts you in a new world that you cant possibly live in
dawestermann
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawestermann.html

Post by dawestermann »

Reading allows me to immerse myself in a topic or story in order to connect with others. I love talking about a great book after reading it or explaining ideas I've just read to others in order to start a conversation. So much learning happens through books!
JaevenE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaevene.html

Post by JaevenE »

Reading is important because it lets us dig deep into our imagination without thinking of it. As we read, we visualize what we want to see in the book, not what someone else does. It also expands our vocabulary.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

NovelIdea wrote:I agree with everything you posted. Reading books is what has helped me to be so creative in life, I believe. It`s helped me find ways to entertain myself without a television or video games, and come up with interesting stories myself. It made me good at improvisation, as I always had hundreds of ideas and stories of which to work off, and has helped me improve my vocabulary and grammar over the years.

Reading makes you a more interesting person overall.
Amen!That is totally right.I would just like to add that reading always expands my imagination and horizons.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Because we already have a ton of scientific researches and data stating that reading has many benefits, not to mention the ones we can see without any research:
- Better memory
- More conversational skills
- Better imagination
- More creativity
- Better at solving problems faster
- Comes up with creative solutions

Etc.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Profeta

Post by Profeta »

I agree with the post. For me to read improve the ability of concentration which is actually necessary for a lot of activities. I guess we all have great capacity to learn but the difference is that we all have different levels of concentration.
Abeer M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeer-m.html

Post by Abeer M »

In my opinion reading overall benefits a person's personality in all perspective. It gives a clearer meaning to ones life and broadens their thoughts far beyond their community, culture and even lifestyle. It inspires your very core and motivates you to gain knowledge.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

Reading exercises and improves our brains

Research shows that reading has an extensive impact on brain function and can actually affect understanding in nearly all school subjects.

Neuroscientist Stanislaus Dehaene conducted research on the brain function of Portuguese-speaking Brazilian adults, both those who had learned to read and those who were illiterate. Dehaene chose Brazil because of its lack of compulsory education laws. The adults were matched for socio-economic status so the results would not be biased by educational or income level.

Martha Burns, an associate professor at Northwestern University and a speech and language pathologist, recently examined Dehaene’s studies. “A person who is a reader actually listens better,” said Burns. “They actually listen to speech and process speech faster and in more detail.”

Dehaene then proceeded to teach the illiterate adults to read, and found astonishing results... “Their brains changed dramatically in the same way the literate adults who had read their whole lives changed. Their visual perceptual skills improved, their auditory listening skills improved, and their ability to drive this whole left hemisphere symbolic problem-solving way of syncing changed,” Burns said.

According to a study published in the journal Neuron, "intensive instruction to improve reading skills in young children causes the brain to physically rewire itself, creating new white matter that improves communication within the brain."

The brain, just like any muscles, benefits from a good workout. Reading is neurobiological demanding. As you're absorbing, say, this article, parts of your brain are working out with vision, language, produce narrative, imagine, infer, and learning—all connected in a specific neural circuit for reading, all a very challenging brain workout. Typically, when you read, you have more time to think. Reading gives you a unique pause button for comprehension and insight.

The benefits of reading include keeping your memory sharp, learning capacity agile, and your mind stronger as you age. Print should take up part of your child’s life too. There is richness that reading gives your family. Let this year be the year your family would rather be reading.

R.R.Cratty
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Reading also makes people more empathetic (well, reading novels, at least). Placing yourself in the mindset of a fictional character helps you better understand the mindsets of other people. I'm not sure whether this is correlation or causation, but I read lots of novels, and I consider myself a very empathetic person.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

Reading is important because it lets people learn how to use grammar, and other ways to use language. Reading also offers an escape if you are going through a hard time. It lets you forget about all your problems and what is going on and takes you to a far away place where you can live the life as the character in the book instead of your own.
MitchellDCalhoun

Post by MitchellDCalhoun »

Books have whole world within it so reading is very important for getting knowledge about anything.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

The Love of Reading: A Special Kind of Magic we can give our family and yes, it is important!

When asked what one thing a parent can do to enrich their child’s education? I always answer, “If you teach your child to love to read you will not only make a positive impact on their year but enrich their life.”

Nothing feeds minds like books! Books for knowledge, books for pleasure, and the wonderful world of books are your tools to help your child become an enthusiastic lifelong reader.

You may be thinking isn’t it the schools job to teach my child to read. Certainly, your child’s school has a very important part; your child will spend many years developing reading skills at school. Teachers will concentrate on your child’s reading development, and yet, you are the most important, most continuous, most lasting influence on your child as a reader! You are your child’s first and very best life long reading teacher.

Your child and their school need you as a partner; your child’s school can not teach your child to read as well without you, as it could with your help. First it is important that your child know reading is important to you, not a chore, something you enjoy. This happens by many happy hours sharing books.
Something to think about…
• Children follow their parents’ example. If they see you read, they will, too.
• Accentuate the positive things your child does. It helps build self-confidence, which will lead to more success.
• Children need to know that you are interested in their school. Attend parent meetings; visit your child’s classroom Keep in touch with school.
• A child will take the same book that was read to him and read it himself.
• Children still need to be read to after they learn to read on their own. They need to hear what good reading sounds like.
• Children in grades three through twelve learn the meanings of about 3,000+ new words a year-the majority of new words are learned incidentally while reading books and other materials.
• Voracious readers are made, not born. No child is born loving soccer or pizza; they learn to like what they see their parents valuing. Children, who read most, read best.
Give your child as well as yourself a special kind of magic, a time to read each night.

- R.R.Cratty
internationalyoga

Post by internationalyoga »

I read your post that is excellent your thought thanks for sharing with us.
FunLovingBookWorm

Post by FunLovingBookWorm »

Reading gives you knowledge and enhances your understanding of different types of situations that you might be put through. Reading takes you places that you have never been before. Of course, not physically but mentally. It opens up your imagination and makes you think of things that you have never thought before.
natosha120
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natosha120.html

Post by natosha120 »

I think its important to me because it makes me feel like I'm in a reality where things don't have to be the same. I can feel like either if I could relate or fantasize that I'm living a different life through a characters journey. It just makes things so much fun.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”