Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
glassy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by glassy »

Yes, I think I could date someone who was not an avid reader. I enjoy a good discussion but you can also discuss topics you heard on the radio or a movie etc.
For me it's important thst I date someone with some of the same interests I have.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

It would depend on the person and what other common interests we shared.
BDTheresa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdtheresa.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BDTheresa »

It depends because life works in mysterious ways. Opposite can merge or fall apart but it will be more fun if that person do read for fun and knowledge expansion and also watch movies.
Liz_Wright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-wright.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Liz_Wright »

When I met my husband, I was in graduate school and only reading for school - I had no time to read for pleasure. Once I finished my degree, it took about a year for me to get back into reading for enjoyment. My husband used to read, but now he spends most of his downtime woodworking or watching movies, while I spend most of my time reading and writing. I sometimes think to myself that he used to read and that I was "duped" but I guess I can't really say that because people change as they age. I know my reading interests have changed from reading non-fiction to more fiction. But if I were to start dating someone now, I would prefer that they like to read so that I wouldn't feel guilty sitting quietly and reading while they do something else. My husband and I are OK with our separate "hobbies" though.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I've dated people who do not read, but I married one that does. :wink2:
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I married someone who doesn’t read. He can read, but he doesn’t read for fun. In 30 years I have read a couple thousand books and he has read three. It used to bother me but now I call it my alone time.😁
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

I could date a person who doesn't like to read. If they never learned to read, that would be a different story.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I am not into dating anymore but if I were, I think I would think more than twice before doing so.
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

I don't think it would be really possible for me. I love to read and I love to learn. If someone couldn't understand my passion for it in depth I feel like they would resent that I read so much. Everyone reads every day. Texts, emails, Facebook posts or tweets are all things you have to read. Most people enjoy that so I don't think reading is completely lost to everyone.

It may just take some time for others to really see some merit in it. I think that if the person I was interested in was open to reading with me or going to the library then it could work. If the person even agreed to read short stories or share stories they had read before then that would be alright as well. Completely refusing to read or participate in some way would probably be an intellectual turn off for me.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's much better if you can go out with someone who has the same interests as you do. After all, a topic as this is very important. No one wants to get hurt you know. If you like book its better if you find some who has that same interests into it as well BUT we cannot find out 100% match. That's not possible! And for this reason it is important that a person should be flexible.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Queen_Superm0m
Currently Reading: Final Notice

Post by Queen_Superm0m »

I wouldnt say it has to be a must or a hobby. I would though like the person to be open to reading from time to time
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

gaygothcousin wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 21:36 Actually, the person I'm currently dating doesn't read.
They love stories and will listen to books, podcasts, watch shows or movies, but they won't read. They'll let me lay on their bed and read to them for hours on end until my voice gives out, but they won't pick up a book.
This is because they have dyslexia. They can read, it's possible, and they often do for class. However, they just can't get into a book because of years of being forced to read for classes. Too many years of struggling through, frankly bland, classics, turned them off of reading forever.

This just opens the door for me to read to them though, which is a favorite pastime of mine now. Often it's an exchange, a book in exchange for some old folktales and other oral traditions. We can still enjoy stories together, it's just more personal to us now. I'm almost glad they don't read. Not that their experiences were so bad, just that it opened a door for us to get closer together.
True,not everyone may enjoy reading because others will prefer to listen to the audio versions or watch movies. This is good.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
alaskaforreal

Post by alaskaforreal »

I grew up around men who read and loved to discuss what they read. My grandfather, dad, uncles all read, and so did all of their male friends. As an adult I find that men who don't read come across to me not as men, but more like children. I've never dated anyone who didn't read. I can't say I never would, because anything's possible and love is an overpowering emotion, but it would be a strange new world for me.
bpluvsmusic
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bpluvsmusic.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by bpluvsmusic »

I did date someone who was not really a reader. We were both big geeks, so we still had plenty of other things to talk about, like the latest superhero movie or the latest episode in a Sy-Fy show. The frustrating thing was when we enjoyed media together that was predicated by a book. He mostly just enjoyed the media, but had no concept of missing plot points or characters. I can generally enjoy the movie version of a book separately from the book, but I still like to compare and contrast between both forms of the story. I really connect with some characters in my favorite books and it was frustrating to not be able to share that connection and those feelings about a book because he just wasn't interested. I am married to another avid book lover now and we often even read a book together, but even if I wasn't committed I don't think I could date another non-reader.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Well, yes. He might be good in something else I'm not.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”