Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Amystl26 »

sarah92480 wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 14:00 I could, and currently am in a relationship with a non-reader. I admit, it would be nice at times to be able to discuss books together, but that's such a minor part of the relationship. On the occasion he does read something, it's generally non-fiction, and I'm pretty strictly a fiction reader anyway. It works for us, we have enough other things in common that it's no big deal to not have this hobby in common too.
I agree: there are multiple other facets to a relationship other than books. Not even that, but it's also important--I believe-- to have those separate hobbies as a couple; healthy even. :techie-reference:
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Luckily my husband is a reader :)
Miss Understood
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Miss Understood »

I think that i could provided he had other hobbies and understood my need to read. Even though i could date someone who doesn't read, i would much prefer he be a reader. Readers in general have more knowledge, and that makes for more intetesting conversations. At least my experiences seem to support that theroy.
Cmoskal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cmoskal »

Not only can I date someone that doesn't read, but I married him! I tried a couple of times, in the beginning, to convince him to give a few books a try. I even tried reading Harry Potter out loud to him. But there was no changing him from a non-reader to a reader. He does a good job amusing himself in bookstores when I'm browsing and I'll read in the same room while he's watching sports or the news. It's possible to make it work! The only downside is that we had three kids and two of them consume books like crazy but one is just like his Dad. I guess two of three is pretty good.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I have previously dated a guy who simply didn't understand my need to read. Seriously he didn't even finish his school assigned books. I won't lie and say that it was an easy relationship we had a lot of problems, and for the 6 months that we were together I didn't read a lot. I have friends who don't read, and that tease me about reading so much, and we get along perfectly. So as long as my next boyfriend (one that doesn't read) is okay with me reading and ignoring him for a book I'm okay with it.
Leanne-thomson
Currently Reading: Silent Weapon
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Leanne-thomson »

I am actually with someone who has very little interest in reading and has not for all the twelve years I have known him. I think it was more of an adjustment for him as he had to get used to someone just sitting silent for hours and not interrupting. Sometimes I wish he read so we could talk about some of my favourite books but I just do what I have always done and call up my dad if I find a good book or new author I liked. He was the one who got me into reading (mum doesn’t either) and we used to go the library every Saturday to get our books. 😀
Beejaylyte

Post by Beejaylyte »

Imagine this: You date someone for years, and then you marry them, procreate with them, even grow old with them. They don't read, but you compromise all through your years, until you're both 100 years old and you can't take it anymore.

"Please," you say, "my dying wish is that you read the Hunger Games series." And since you played the dying card, your significant other agrees—and as they flip to the last page, tears in their eyes, they whisper to you the last words you hear on this

THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. Your whole life could be based on a foundation that you didn't even know was a lie. How will you ever truly know what kind of a person someone is until you know their opinions about books? Answer: you won't. I'm not prepared to live a life on that kind of edge.
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

Definitely, but they have to respect that there are those rare days where I want to ignore everyone and just read the whole day.
Zuribooks
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuribooks.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Zuribooks »

love is also about the difference, i can live with someone who does not read at all, but i cant tolerate people who make fun of me because i read to much, thats a big NO
zoereznor
Favorite Author: Raymond Carver
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoereznor.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
fav_author_id: 6218

Post by zoereznor »

This is a really good question.
As someone who has lived my life in books, I could never date someone who chooses not to read. That is pretty much the biggest turn off I can think of.
Anyone who reads a lot becomes instantly attractive to me.
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elke »

Yeah, I could date someone who doesn't read but I would most likely choose someone with similar interests.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Omolola Natural
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omolola-natural.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Omolola Natural »

Well, yes, as long as I have friends who read and I can share book ideas with, the person I am dating doesn't have to be a reader like me. But then he must be someone intelligent enough even without reading :D
Duru skillz

Post by Duru skillz »

I believe i can, so long as the person is open to learn new things or take corrections. Reading, to me is a hobby. So i can romantically be with someone who doesn't read.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

I would definitely prefer someone who would read, at least on occasion. I wouldn't even care so much as to what they read, so long as it was something. It could be a magazine, short stories, fiction, history, murder ballad lyrics, and I wouldn't care.
LordLacaar

Post by LordLacaar »

Reading is something I could never be able to live without, but I know many people just don't have any interest in it. I also have genres of books I would never read so I think I could date someone who doesn't read. They just have to understand reading is my most passionate hobby and I am not someone who finds going to a bar exciting at all. The person I would date probably enjoys many activities I might not personally enjoy, but that does not mean I would choose not to date them. My belief is that dating someone with different hobbies is commonplace, but that does not mean you cannot emotionally connect with them or that they are mentally inept.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”