Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by SammiArch »

This is an interesting question. I feel (and I am absolutely NOT trying to offend anyone, this is strictly opinion based) that people who chose not to read tend to be less educated. Therefore, no. I could not be with someone who intentionally chooses ignorance. However, I am sure that there are some very intelligent people who just don't find reading pleasurable (although I couldn't understand how!). In that case, it wouldn't bother me. So I guess for me its more about whether our perception of the world and general knowledge are compatible versus whether we have just one thing (like reading) in common.
Sammi Arch
bwill93
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bwill93.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by bwill93 »

No. I really don't think I could be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like to read...I think it has to do with a person being able to appreciate literature? Books are such a beautiful untapped well of knowledge, entertainment, and wisdom, I don't think I would get along very well with someone who doesn't understand that.
Lamoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamoy.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Lamoy »

No. That means I cannot recommend books, I cannot gush aboutt a book I've just read. They wouldn't get the jokes from the books, I cannot use favorite lines or phrases like inside jokes. I really cannot
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

Since discussing books is such a popular conversational subject, it's difficult to conceive of anyone choosing not to read books. For younger people, it could be that the person is very much involved in sports - in this situation, yes, I could date someone who didn't read books. However, as we get older, we are far less apt to have sports as the primary interest in our lives, so someone not reading is far less desirable and no, at this point in time I would choose to not date a non-reader.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Definitely NOT! I believe that a relationship is based on what you share and have in common with each other. Since the majority of my life is spent reading one thing or another that wouldn't leave much that we would have in common. Even my closest friends are readers.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
AERans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aerans.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by AERans »

Of course why not. People may not share the same interests but that doesn't mean they aren't right for you. Afterall, opposites attract, right?
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rumbly »

Sure why not~
I used to be the type who didn't like reading text only books due to school forcing me to read books I never enjoyed; I love reading graphic novels like comics, and I think there are a lot of shows, movies and dramas based off books. So even if my partner doesn't read the book; maybe we could watch a show together, and can still connect that way.
I do feel it's easier to have a movie date over having a book date too ^^
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

I got married to someone who didn't read much but he also had a reading problem. He can't see the words well. Dyslexia. Then I divorced him for other reasons and met someone that I have a fair amount of things in common. We compliment each other and enjoy each others company. He doesn't read as much as I do and I'm okay with it. There is more that keeps us together that the reading isn't a huge deal. We have so much to talk about.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

SammiArch wrote: 10 May 2018, 17:51 This is an interesting question. I feel (and I am absolutely NOT trying to offend anyone, this is strictly opinion based) that people who chose not to read tend to be less educated. Therefore, no. I could not be with someone who intentionally chooses ignorance. However, I am sure that there are some very intelligent people who just don't find reading pleasurable (although I couldn't understand how!). In that case, it wouldn't bother me. So I guess for me its more about whether our perception of the world and general knowledge are compatible versus whether we have just one thing (like reading) in common.
Just want to point out a case of this not being totally true. Though I tend to agree with you boy my ex husband and my current boyfriend are both really smart in their own ways. My boyfriend watches a ton of documentaries and occasionally reads, but rarely. I feel he knows more about such topics than me because he educates himself through PBS and News. So he stays current with politics and many other topics about history and physics and space. He knows more than me because I would read a lot of fiction that didn't discuss the topics he is deeply knowing of. :)
ravian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ravian »

yes.....i will gladly try it...if he will enjoy listening about the books i read.on my part i will ask things that interest him... i think some difference in characters can add spice for a good conversation.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Maybe. But I'd like him to be a good reader, of different subjects too
shannon_n_dunn
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance - Living Beyond Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by shannon_n_dunn »

Wow, that’s a good question. For me, I’d be perfectly willing to date someone who has different tastes in books than me, but I think a distinct dislike of reading would reveal a deeper incompatibility. I need a partner who is able to connect emotionally on a deep level, and I think a love of reading is a great indicator of that type of empathy. Also, from a more practical standpoint, I spend a lot of time reading. The person I date absolutely has to respect that, and it would be most convenient if he understands because he also spends time reading!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I definitely would not want to date someone who does not read as that person will not be able to be a critical thinker. That person will also be easily persuaded by any wind that blows and will have limited knowledge of important matters like health, relationships, and parenting.

Moreover, a person who does not read will find great difficulty to properly articulate his or her thoughts and more so will have difficulty understanding an intelligent discussion.
Carlycalli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Carlycalli »

Hmm I don't think so, reading is an essential part of life. Work, play, you have to read. But, I agree with others, what would we talk about. Reading books also exercise the brain. I read 3 to 5 magazine per month. Like popular mechanics, financial periodicals etc.
sthe01
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sthe01 »

Probably not because I feel that they wouldn't understand my obsession with books and that I need a quiet place when I'm reading and that I'm not very talkative while I'm reading a really good book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”