Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by catherinecsoto »

Can I date a person who doesn’t read books? No way. Just HOW can we be fantasy nerds together? Also, a person reading a book is a big turn on for me (next to smelling good) because you just know that their brain is sexy. Full of pretty quotes, amazing stories. You’ll never run out of things to talk about, nerd about. ;)
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

For the longest time, my spouse did not read. When the LotR movies came out, he read the books. I don't know that he read anything between then and about 2012.

We married in 2008, a good four years before he got into reading. We were in B&N and he wanted to look for some books he read as a kid. We found the name, ordered the boxes set, and he started reading again.

While I love and enjoy reading, I get that that form of entertainment is not to everyone's taste. I have dated and then married a non-reader, and I could do so again, if necessary. I think it is more important that the significant other respects the choices (as long as they aren't harmful) I make, it should be fine.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I think I could because for me, reading is a hobby. So long as they had their own interests and we therefore had something to discuss, I don’t see it being a problem.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Well, it would take some getting used to. But since I can't force my hobbies on the person, I should be able to overlook it if necessary.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Yes, as long as they agreed to buy me as many books as I wanted!
bblackwell1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bblackwell1 »

yes because im not a big reader myself. I would rather be with someone who is an outdoor person
Nei_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nei-reads.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nei_reads »

That's a question Ive never really pondered over. To be honest, I don't think I would mind if the person was non-reader. Sure there's certain topics I would love to talk about but he probably wouldn't get me. As long as he doesnt make a fuss about how much I end up spending on books and letting my imagination run wild, we'll be alright.

I talk as if I've already got a boyfriend when in reality my standards have shot through the sky leaving me with my only other form of company, books.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I think it would be okay to date someone who doesn't read as long as they are still open to listening to my ramblings about my favorite books and authors. They'd have to be willing to go to the movies made from my books once they're made and listen to me correcting all the faults and reading along the correct lines. If they can jump on board with all of that even if they never open the book I can be okay with it.
jessicadb1
Currently Reading: How To Write a Simple Book Review: It's Easier Than You Think
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicadb1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by jessicadb1 »

Almost certainly not haha. Even though my boyfriend is not a huge reader, I still went to the effort of buying him a kindle for Christmas a year or two ago, just so that he has NO EXCUSE to avoid reading things that interest him.
His job requires a lot of driving and time spent in the car, and more often than not he prefers to listen to Audio books, but I find this is a nice compromise for us :)
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I could date him and turn him into a reader :)
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Of course I could! As long as the person respects my love for and enthusiasm for reading. My husband doesn't read as much like but he enjoys listening to me talk about books. He even buys me some now and then. When he hears someone else talking about a book he makes recommendations to me. If we both liked the same stuff, it would be pretty boring.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Anuoluwapoade

Post by Anuoluwapoade »

I guess I can because the fact that I love books doesn't mean he must. So yes I can
Shelley Marrissa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-marrissa.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B01FGCXUDU

Post by Shelley Marrissa »

My partner is not as much of an avid reader as I am and we enjoy different genres of books. He is more interested in reading graphic novels and comics, which I also enjoy on occasion. We can still read together in peace, despite the difference in format :-)
amyv98

Post by amyv98 »

I think I definitely would not mind dating someone who does not read, mainly because it would serve as a great opportunity to try to introduce the other person to a set of millions of alternate universes, timelines, and situations that could really open their eyes. Reading is incredibly important to me, but I wouldn't avoid dating someone because we don't share a similar interest right off the bat. As long as they give it a chance and don't mind hearing me ramble on about whatever book I happen to be reading at the time, I wouldn't mind it at all.
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Adediran Israel »

It will be very hard to get along with the someone that do not read book because you gain adequate knowlege by reading. There is a quote that says "a mind that know is a free mind"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”