Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Neli Parashkevova
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Neli Parashkevova »

It is possible that I could, but I would expect that this person reads at least anything to get some kind of knowledge (articles, news, etc.). Not reading at all or almost nothing is not a good choice. I like people who love to grow, learn, develop and enjoy life. It is not possible to get enough knowledge from communication only.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

Everyone has different hobbies, so I could date someone who doesn't read, but they would have to share some other hobby with me. As long as there is some sort of shared interest then I think a relationship can work.
Titus Fuller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titus-fuller.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Titus Fuller »

I can relate with Scotts response to this question, it would be difficult to relate with a non-reader because our interests would braid in empowering us in becoming supportive life partners.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Yes, I would because I read books for fun and I understand that not everyone likes to read books. though it would be more fun to be able to discuss books and characters with a partner.
Nur Sakinah 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nur-sakinah-2.html
Latest Review: The eSmith Eye Story by GranRan

Post by Nur Sakinah 2 »

I think I can tolerate it as long as he's willing to listen to me talking about the book. It's because reading is not for everyone, and just because someone doesn't read, it doesn't mean that they lack intelligence. The key is respecting each other's interests and hobbies.
Real Dii
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-real-dii.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Real Dii »

No... Every one in every walk in life has to be dedicated to some sort of book material and I find readers very attractive.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I don't think it would be a problem to date a person who does not read, I think the problem would be that you cannot share the stories you read with them. If they themselves have a hobby that takes up their time it would be okay only if you can share your interest with each other.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

This is a very tricky question. I suppose I could date someone who doesn't read but they would have to have similar interests to me so that we could have good discussions. My husband reads occasionally, luckily we have the same taste in books so we talk about them afterwards.
Caroline Gavelfalt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-gavelfalt.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Caroline Gavelfalt »

I like this question, I definitely can as I am in a relationship with someone that thinks he has read one book in his life in school and that is it. He has no interest to read anything again. I really don't mind cause he doesn't say anything bad about me reading quite a lot so each to their own, he is still my person :)
Sh3rW1
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Nick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherica-wilson.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Sh3rW1 »

I have dated readers and non-readers. The conversations are more limited with non-readers. However, the chemistry is better with non-readers. I cannot fathom the reason though. Maybe they teach me other things I have not learnt yet from reading. One thing I am happy about though is, after dating me, the non-readers develop an appreciation and interest in reading. They don't become avid readers but they do end up reading more and thanking me for it.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Even though I love reading, I think my choice of dating someone won't be tied to their ability or love of reading books. Thus, there's every possibility for me to date someone who doesn't like reading.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Reading is a personal choice. If I want to date a girl, and I discover she doesn't like reading, I won't judge her by her preference. There are other things I need in her and reading books is not one of them.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

That could be impossible, as you have to read a person before you can take a person on a date. In fact, reading books starts with reading a person, if someone is a good book reader, then he/she may read you well, and can become your very good company, which obviously becomes your good friend and date eventually.
So it would be preferable to one to take a good reader out on a date!
a musical mind!
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

I'm currently married to someone who doesn't enjoy reading books and we have been together for the past twelve years. We have our own hobbies and that is fine. People don't have to enjoy the same things all the time to find things they enjoy and love about each other. My husband and I are pretty jing/jang and that works for us. We don't talk about books unless I think he would appreciate something I read. I have other outlets for my love of books and this website is one of them. I also incorporate the books I read into my professional role as a therapist.
Perla Chavez
Favorite Book: El perfume
Currently Reading: Hill of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perla-chavez.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Perla Chavez »

I think I could, as long as their decision of not reading anything does not include shaming others for doing so, I would still be able to share my exciment for certain books with them helping them trough the plot, but the fact that I couldn't give them recommendations it is a boomer to me.

It doesn't upsets me as much that they wouldn't recommend anything to me, I read at my own page and probably would leave their recommendation in my TBR list.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”