Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jaiima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by jaiima »

I feel like I could, but it'd be disconcerting knowing that I wouldn't be able to discuss my favorite book or my personal writing with my significant other. Even if they read my work, they would just give it a thumbs up without truly understanding it or wouldn't have any real interest. So idk maybeee.
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

no cant get into such a relationship.
MrMoth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MrMoth »

I always thought that I'd have to date someone who was also an avid reader for things to work out, but the guy I'm currently with only reads sparingly. We actually still have a lot of things to talk about. I think reading should just be treated like any other hobby, like it's not necessary for two people to share the same hobbies to be compatible
Marvelous chisom
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Marvelous chisom »

Hmmmm interesting question.....well personally I can deal with that. I can be in a relationship with someone who doesn't read but gradually I would try to make the person love reading, of course he loves me yeah. Telling him interesting stuffs contained in books would actually inspire him to read. So i would give it a shot.i think I can do it.
IntrovertBooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-introvertbooklover.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by IntrovertBooklover »

Good question. The answer is no, I would not date someone who does not read.
Rated_derake
Favorite Book: Charles' Story
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rated_derake »

Yeah a good question, i can date someone like that, if i really love the person because love conquers anything, you cant judge the person because of that at least conversation still continues.
elliebelle2018

Post by elliebelle2018 »

I could date someone who cannot read. if hes still active in a conversation im interested in. i can date someone as long as i enjoy talking to him and i enjoy his presence as well.. but he have to understand that i love reading.
Lawkwhud

Post by Lawkwhud »

:? That would depend on if I've really gat feelings for her...
Honestly... its a yes... Is probably teach her to understand that no knowledge is a waste.. and we would have fun reading together
Rosealt+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rosealt+ »

It depends on what kind of reading your talking about. I personally I would date one.
Maykus

Post by Maykus »

Hmmm good Question. Have come to understand that not every person have the opportunity to be educated. Some wish to be but they got no one to sponsor them. So they are left alone. That doesn't mean they aren't intelligence or smart.

Answer to your question...

Emotional investment or i will prefer to use the word love has nothing to do with an illiterate. Have seen individuals who doesn't have the opportunity to study and they are more smart than does who did.

The truth is I can date someone who can't read. Because there is more to that..
You love for a reason. Might be she's smart, beautiful, got a prefect body, unique being or even God fearing.

If she doesn't know how to read I will teach her how to read. It wouldn't take more than two months for her to prefect her reading skills... Summary: If you love her don't shy away from her. Teach her what you know and see how close you gets.
:lol:
Mahrukh Zaman

Post by Mahrukh Zaman »

Sure you are right habits and hobbies clearly define what kind of mentality a person possesses and one of the unique hobby is about reading books. I totally agree with your stance but as we grow mature we prefer mindset. Thinking of dating someone or living with them an entire life requires love and care for another person. Love is something which cannot be put into words it must be felt by the warmth of your beloved's existence and memories.
faale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by faale »

I'll say yes to that because I fell in love with the person first, before I found out that he or she can not read. Whatever reasons behind it, wouldn't matter because it's too late. But would be a pleasure knowing that I'm doing everything I can, for that person to learn how to read.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

Yes. I'm currently dating one. His an artist, he doesn't love to read that much but I enjoy the moments when i'm reading next to him and his painting. My best moment so far is when he got me a few novels and made space for me in his studio to read whenever I can ( cute right?)....I think it shouldn't be a red flag. Its the love you share that counts.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I thought about this for years. Most of the men I have dated don't have much an interest in reading, but to be honest the one man I did date who was also an english major, wasn't much better off. I love reading and writing and it's okay if the person I dates doesn't. In fact the ones who did read didn't seem to have similar feelings to mine about books. No two people read the same book the same way and I am now grateful for that.
cyndisays
Currently Reading: The Doom Murders
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndisays.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by cyndisays »

I have and married him (now divorced) and he could not understand why I love to read! I love holding a book, reading myself into another place. He thought tv was better🤦‍♀️

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”